Tuesday, September 16, 2008

These are the days of our lives!!!

I am going to try really hard not to sound down and out on this blog! Because I am not. My life is good, I am newly married, I have a wonderful family, blessed beyond words... but there is one horrid thing that I can't seem to get a hold of in my life... WORKING OUT!! As I have mentioned before, I am CONSTANTLY trying to be skinnier/healthier...always trying to better my bod :)

Ok let me explain a little background... in high school I was a cheerleader. Slim and slender at 5'9"! A size 6 (and I thought I was fat then!), flat stomach, shapely legs and slender arms! Ok well... on to college... I worked out all through college at the Student Act. just your basic cardio. Ok now let's fast forward to 3 years out of college. I am one size bigger... and several pounds heavier. I have never been what I call "tiny." I mean I am tall so I try not to beat myself up too bad, but I desperately want to me my "perfect" size 6! So, you might ask, what's holding you back from achieving that goal??? Well, let's evaluate! As far as food goes... I am one of the pickiest eaters you will ever meet (or read about :) ) It's bad. I don't really like meat. I don't really like vegetables. So what do I like you ask? CARBS CARBS CARBS!! Pasta, rice, bread... PIZZA (mmmm). So I try to count my calories each day so I don't go overboard. I do pretty well Monday-Friday at lunchtime. Then for some reason I think it's time to go CRAZY on the weekend and eat everything in sight! :) It's almost like calories don't count Friday night - Sunday :) So you see, my diet is one problem but I think I do pretty well with it given I am SUPER PICKY!! On to the next challenge... I workout 4-5 days a week. And I refuse to miss a day! I can be sick... I am there! Here's my typical workout schedule...
Monday: 30 minutes on the elliptical/Body Pump (calories usually burned - 800)
Tuesday: 1 hour of walking & elliptical OR Spinning (calories usually burned - 600-700)
Wednesday: 30 minutes on the elliptical/Body Pump (calories usually burned - 800)
Thursday: 1 hour of walking & elliptical OR Spinning (calories usually burned - 600-700)
Friday: 30 minutes on the elliptical/Body Pump (calories usually burned - 800)


So you see, my schedule is pretty repetitive! But that's ok because I love Body Pump. Now here is where my question for you all comes in... whether you work out or not I would love to hear some advice and how you deal with this day to day!
Where I am struggling with this is... where do you find time to be a GREAT WIFE (because I desperately want to be the most AWESOMEST!!) Now one good thing I do have on my side is that my husband works out too. At the same time, so at least that isn't a conflict!
See with all of those days, I go right after work and don't leave the gym until... sometimes between 6:30 and 7! Then I rush home, let the dogs out, cook super, clean kitchen, shower, plop on the couch and I am so dang sleepy. Where do I find time to... run to WalMart, get my cell phone fixed, go to the post office, cuddle with hubby, wash clothes, clean house????? You get my drift? This is my daily schedule. It rarely changes from Monday to Friday. And I refuse to miss a workout so that really cuts into to any social life I might have Monday - Friday. But I just can't help it. All of our friends hit up Trivia at a local bar on Tuesday but guess where you will find me??? THE GYM!
But I have decided to start getting up Tuesday and Thursday at 5 and going to the gym and getting that over with to have my afternoon's free to do what I need. WELL TODAY I DID IT!!!! Let me tell you, it was TOUGH. Wow, getting up at 5 and losing that other hour and a half of sleep was BRUTAL! Especially since my husband was still sleeping so peaceful when I left. Boo. I drove 10-15 minutes to get to the gym. Worked out for an hour and then drove 10-15 minutes back home to get ready for work. Now I will admit that after I was finished working out, I felt good. Got those endorphins going and the calories were burning up :) But getting up is the toughest part. But I just have to do it at least 2 days a week. That does mean giving up spinning on those days, but that's ok... I am kinda burnt out on that for now!

So tell me how you handle working out and balancing your home life! How do you handle a husband, working out, social life, kids????? It's tough for me I know. I am just hoping that it gets easier soon! :)

9 comments:

Lauren said...

I have this same problem and am looking forward to hearing what others suggest.

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

i feel the same way. i feel guilty now... i can't even imagine what it's like to have children and go through all of this. it's so hard trying to get everything done.

i go to yoga at lunch on tuesday and thursday, then go to sculpting on tuesday and thursday afternoon. i go to spinning on wednesday afteroon. it's still 7:00 before i get home. i am only cooking 2-3 times a week. i want to be a good wife, but i don't want to let myself go either by eating big home cooked meals and skipping workouts.

fortunately, my husband works until 7:00 or 7:30 every night. we CANNOT get up early in the morning to work out.

Lindsey said...

I totally understand! I went through the same dilemma. I found working out in the morning to be the best though. I wake up at 5a.m. and I know it's tough! But I love getting it over with and I feel so good during the day. And I love having it over with so I can go right home after work and start making dinner and hang out with the husbby. It was nice when he came with me but sometimes he doesn't and I just suck it up and go because I make it part of the day. Getting up is the hardest part, but after 2 weeks it will become habit. You can do it!=)

Tracy said...

I joined Curves in May. I work out 3x a week for 30 min and it fits in my schedule beautifully. I have a helpful husband so on Monday and Wednesdays he gets home by 5:30. I have most of dinner ready and set up and he finishes up, I run out and get my 30 min workout and get home and then we eat dinner together. He understands this is important for me. Curves doesn't have a nursery so I have to have him babysit. I wake up early on Saturday and go also. I decided I had to start taking me time to be a healthy mom for my daughter. The days I don't work out at Curves, I walk with my daughter and friends. I have lost 15 pounds in three months. My goal is to be healthier but I know I have a lot of weight to lose to be healthy. It is not an apperance thing for me but just being healthier over all and I think that change in attitude has helped a lot. I never want my daughter to hear me say, "I'm ugly", "I'm fat", etc. i think little girls get a lot of their body image from their moms so my goal is for her to see me being healthy and strong. I am getting on a soap box and off your question....

The ladies at Curves gave me some good tips. You have to keep your body guessing - so you have to change your routine up. Otherwise your body/brain gets used to your routine and won't perform as well. So like, each week, I change what machine I start on. They also said it is VERY important to eat a small high protein food before working out and after. I grab a string cheese usually and then maybe a Curves bar. You have to feed your body which is a hard concept for women to get.

What if you just gave yourself a break one day out of the week once in awhile and then on the weekend did something like walk or hike with your hubby? It would keep your bogy guessing.

Tara Caire said...

Drew and I just moved in together, but I can see how its hard to balance it all. I have a treadmill at my house and I take the time at night to do it, and he goes to the gym during his lunch hour. Also girl, dont stress out and do give yourself a break.. You are doing awesome and unfourtanelty for women it does take longer to see results but you WILL see results! hang in there!! You may want to try to use some free weights 3 days a week.. i have done the same workout with weights since the 8th grade and I have now got my friends and mom on the workout and they saw resultsin their upper body pretty fast!

Amy (Metz) Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy (Metz) Walker said...

I'm so with you on hating getting up early...and doing it at night takes up a lot of time in my evening! It's definitely a fine line!

As much as I hate to say it, the times I had the most success and the times my clients (I'm a former personal trainer) were most successful were usually "morning people". Not much interferes with getting up at 5 a.m. except being lazy, but at night a LOT of things can get in the way unfortunately.

Thankfully, when you do it several days in a row, your body will adapt...

I look forward to seeing what other people have to say!

Belle said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I admire you for putting forth so much effort toward working out. I'm just now beginning to get into the routine with a trainer. The secret to handling it all...an empty nest...both kids away at school. It's been years since I've had time for myself. It's a GOOD think!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Well, I am in the same situation you are. My husband works out with me which helps a lot. The problem comes when it is time to eat. I am the pickiest eater as well but I have decided to go mostly organic and lower the carbs. I pretty much follow ww during the week and have one cheat day. My husband supports me 100% because he know it is important to me!