Friday, October 3, 2008

Bridal Portraits: Art or kinda gothic?

Some people will call it goth! Some will say it's artistic! I say they are artistic!!!!! What am I talking about you ask?? A few of my bridal portraits!! I had them done prior to the wedding. Like 2 months I think. I made it very clear to my photographer (Cindy Lowery Photography)that I didn't want your "typical" bridal portraits. I wanted different and funky! So I told her to run with it. And boy did she. We went to a church first to take some "classic/traditional pictures" and then to a parking deck with graffiti, and finally to a... wait for it... breath...don't freak out... A GRAVEYARD!!! (GASP!) I am from a small town in Anniston, Alabama and this graveyard sits in the historic part of the little city. My photographer asked me and my mom what we thought and my mom looked at me like "Sooo.....!" I was up for it. I knew my photographer was great and would do amazing things, so I trusted her. The pictures turned out amazing if you ask me. I know some of you will think this is a little goth or sacrilegious but I promise you, I strictly looked at this like it was artistic. I assure you I am a Christian and am 100% comfortable in my faith and walk with God, but I will be displaying an 11x14 of this picture in my house for all to see. I have had some gasps and wide eyes when I showed these off, but I try to just look at it like this... I wanted different, and I have NEVER seen any bridal portrait taken in a graveyard. I guess I got just what I asked for huh? :)

They were my favorite of all my bridal portraits! What do you think? Feel free to give me your honest opinion.

Here they are! :) And a few of the "traditionals"!!! (Try and ignore the "Do not Copy crap on there-I couldn't scan them in so I "stole" them from her website. Well, I don't think I stole them... pretty sure I paid her enough to borrow them for MY blog!) :)







31 comments:

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

my photographer was the same way. totally not traditional. i've got one of me sitting on the floor next to a painted pink wall.

i love the first one. you should definitely get the black and white and display it for the world to see!

the last one is pretty adorable, too!

they're all great. some people just haven't seen the new look of wedding photography yet. my best friend says now that she wishes that she'd gone with a more contemporary photographer. she was married 4 years ago and went totally traditional.

NewlywedCentral said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!!!!! They are incredibly artistic and you could be a model -- I'm really not just saying that ;0)

Blue-eyed Bride is right on --

La Pixie said...

the first one is completely awesome!! I LOVE IT. I love the leg your flashing, I love the pose, I love the black and white, I love it all. anyone who would say anthing negative about it would have to be classified as a hater. it doesnt leave a bad impression at all!

Jessica said...

I cannot express enough just how much I LOVE them! the first one is definately my favorite.
And you should never ever have to go into that much explanation as to why you did it! You have nothing to prove to anyone.. I'm pretty sure God knows how you feel about him ;)

Belle of the Ball said...

I love them! Especially the one in the graveyard-everytime I visit Charleston, SC I take pictures of different cemeteries just because they are so beautiful and historic!

Petunia said...

I love the first one the best!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Oh my gosh! They're gorgeous, well you and they are gorgeous! You could totally be in a magazine! Whoohoo! I was trying to pick a fav but I couldn't, love 'em all!

Leslie said...

The best thing about being a bride is that you can do whatever the heck you want! I think they are gorgeous and if you love them, they should be proudly displayed! I have my bridal portraits hanging in my house and I sometimes worry that it looks a bit pretentious or self-absorbed, but then I just remind myself that they are art! Work it, girl!

Britni and Justin said...

Love them!!! My photographer is also all about non-traditional photos! Check out my blog to see our "trash the dress" pictures. I love unique photos! You look great!

L Sqaured said...

I Love them! They are sooo not gothic!

Tracy said...

I think they are great. Lots of fun. They seem very "you". (from what I know of you from the blogging world)

The Pink Owl said...

Oh my god! Seriously, some of the best and most creative portraits I've seen! I love, love, love them!!!!!

Kitty Cat said...

They are fab! And who cares what anyone thinks, as long as you are happy with them!

morewineplease said...

beautiful! what a great idea...there is nothing goth about it.. looks like you should be on a magazine cover.

Kari Beth said...

Hi. I found your blog through a friend of a friend of a friend and etc.

I am IN LOVE with these pictures. They are beautiful. Your photographer did an amazing job!

Me! said...

I think it was an AWESOME idea -- totally go with the first black and white one. Weddings have become soo stuffy that it's nice to see something different. Is it too late to take bridal pictures two years after your wedding? LOL because I would so dig out my dress again for some great photos! :-)

Andi said...

I've been to Anniston! I have a friend from there.

PreppynPink said...

Awesome pictures! You look beautiful!!

Amy (Metz) Walker said...

Oh my gosh, LOVE it! The first one is absolutely adorable! You are gorgeous girl!

Megan said...

Love those pictures!! You look beautiful!! We also went with a non traditonal photographer and LOVE our pictures. These pictures are so creative and probably fit your personality - which is what its all about!!! Love them!

Being Brazen said...

Very different and interesting - really like the pics

Glamorous Life of a House Wife said...

I love non-traditional wedding pix. You don't want them to look like EVERYONE ELSES wedding pictures. You look beautiful!

southern daze said...

First of all, your dress is amazing! I think the ones in the graveyard are great and I agree with blue-eyed bride, many people just aren't familiar with the new direction of wedding/portrait photography. I like them all but find myself drawn to the one with the graffiti and the one with you in front of the church.

Kitty Cat said...

I have a little something for you at my blog...:)

Meredith said...

Lynds, I like them. I think they're totally classy and cool and not at all any indication of altering from your faith- you go girl! :)

Tara Caire said...

i dont think you could take a bad picture!:) I think they are very unique and noone will have anything like them!! I love the last one! : )

Lindsey said...

Wow! They are so great! And you are so beautiful!

Lindsey said...

Wow! They are so great! And you are so beautiful!

The Lavender Lily said...

I love the one in front of the graffiti wall. You look so confident and saucey! hahaha. The ones in the graveyard are definitely different, but very cool.

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

BEAUTIFUL! I love the one of you on the steps!

Lori said...

They are gorgeous!