Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Um, what did you say??? (& WWW)

First I want to say... today was a better day. After yesterday though, anything would have been better!

Secondly... I have been asked several times lately what I do in my job, so I want to explain, but don't want to tell too much in case there's some SUPER CREEP BALL (like the man from my last post) stalking my blog! I am the Associate Director of Admissions for a small, private college in GA. I like my job, but it's not what I want to do forever. I eventually want to teach and I am in the process of working on that goal now. This week, I am in TN attending college fairs. Yeah, you remember those... where 50 colleges pile in a gymnasium and set up a table with info and then you come stroll around and hang with your BFF or BF and check out what the colleges have to offer! (yeah right!) I will only tell you I am in east TN, no more, because what I am about to tell you is some of the funniest/strangest stuff I have ever encountered at a college fair. See typically, I only recruit transfer students, so I haven't covered a high school fair in a long time! This morning, I was at, well we will call it "Countryville High School (CHS)." Being an out of state college, it's tough to recruit here because they do offer the Hope Scholarship for TN students to stay in state. So that is a huge disadvantage for us as a GA school, but no worries. Ok, well I first want to point out that we have a huge board on our table that has info on the college on it. Right in the middle is a HUGE picture of the state of GA (and surrounding states) with a big star where we are located. The question of the day was "Where are you located?" DUH!! :) Also, might I point out how many Dolce & Gabbana and Prada knock-off purses I saw today? I am assumming they were knock-offs because this wasn't the kind of school where you wouldd see designer anything! But hey points for them for knowing what D&G and Prada are at least! (Man, that sounded ugly-sorry!) There's just something about those brands that don't mix with camo and shirts that say "Redneck." (I hope no one takes offense to that-if you do, I'm really sorry!)

And for your entertainment, and mine, here are the other wonderful questions of the day...

- "Y'all got truck driving?" (his accent was so thick I had to ask him to repeat himself. I mean I am country and have a good ol' southern accent, but wow!)

- (student is filling out an information card) "How do you spell Psychology?" (friend answers) "It starts with an S duh!"

- "What is accounting?" (to which I replied with the easiest answer I could come up with for this guy- "One thing they do is taxes. You know when your parent's have their taxes done?" (I realize this answer is very vague and not a great answer but trust me, had you met this guy, you would understand completely) (he replied) "No, what are taxes?"

- "I'm either interested in culinary or pre-med, y'all got those?"

- "How do you spell 'theatre'?"

So you see, the day becomes pretty long after questions like that :) I am glad to be going home tomorrow though. I have lots to do before hubs birthday Friday! :) I made us reservations at a place in Atlanta. (it's a secret) It's a new place for both of us so I am excited! It will be fun! And then Saturday we are celebrating with friends, but I don't know what to do about that either. Maybe have people over? Maybe go out to eat somewhere low key? I am so dang indecisive! More on the hubs birthday Friday :)


And last but not least... Today is Weight Watchers Wednesday!!! Yaayyyy! Blue-Eyed Bride, Mojito Maven and I are on the "fit train" are you??? :) If you haven't already, make sure to check out Mojito Maven's WWW post today! It was a great post! And she has a great recipe to offer you :) Next week, Blue-Eyed Bride is back to host the WWW!! :) Can't wait girl! And what about our FABULOUS new button that the wonderful Nina made us?? Isn't it so cute? If you are following WWW, please feel free to add this button to your side bar! The three of us WWW girls will continue to host a WWW post, but we would love to hear your story too. If you post a WWW post, let us know so we can make sure to check it out! Happy Dieting Ladies! :)

PS- I can't tell you my weight loss officially yet, because my Dr's appt isn't until tomorrow, but I promise to post as soon as I get back to the office from the Dr. And a little hint: I am pretty sure it's gonna be a BIG loss (so says my WW scale). See, with the program I am with, I weigh in every two weeks, but I will be weighing in weekly after this week but it will be on Thursday. But that's ok. I will let you all know how it goes :)

14 comments:

Tracy's Porch said...

Thanks for the laugh. I needed a good chuckle. So sorry you had to put up with it all but it made for good blog material.

Mojito Maven said...

WOWOWOWOWOW...you'll be home soon though!

and YAYAYAYAY for WWW!

Rebecca Taylor said...

Wow is right...I have no idea how you didn't just RUN out of that room! How could people be so...stupid??? :) YIKES!

Kappa Prep said...

Ha, those questions made me laugh! Thank goodness home is just around the corner!

morewineplease said...

so glad you are doing better today! ME TOO!!!
What a crazy day, so glad you took notes to share with us! LOL

amberbaldridge said...

I love that other people are shocked by those questions. Those are standards for me at college fairs so they don't even phase me anymore - which is sad.

By the way here are a few of my fave responses other recruiters have come up with:
Student: "Do you have cosmonautology?"
Recruiter: "You want to do hair and make up in space?"

Student: "Do you have CSI?"
Recruiter: "No, but we do have Pre-Grey's Anatomy."

We're really starting to get smart with these kids!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Haha! Culinary or pre-med, ha! Yay for home, have a great night! We don't have cable anymore, I'm missing Project Runway!!

southern daze said...

What a sad, yet hilarious, way to spend your day. Thankfully you'll be home tomorrow!

Kitty Cat said...

Sometimes the silly things people actually say are almost unbelievable - those were funny! Looking forward to hearing about your weight loss. I would love to know how to lose weight in a specific area, like the belly, if that's possible!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Your post was so funny! I would have probably had to laugh.

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

hilarious! it's just amazing what you can find in small town, USA. we visited a high school last year and the kids only stopped by our table for the free stuff. then one of our students' mother came over and started telling us how he couldn't get an internship and he was so excited about our university and our program, but now he was so disappointed that he chose it.

you'll be home soon! happy birthday to your husband!

and we can't wait to see how your weight loss journey is going!

The Heckathorns said...

LOL at the quotes! It reminds me sadly of "home." (i'm from arkansas) Yay for coming home soon! :)

Being Brazen said...

Those were such funny questions..

I love southern accents - love them. Wish i had one myself.. :)

Petunia said...

oh gosh! too funny re: the spelling questions!