Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wonderful Weight Watchers Wednesday!

Hello dear WWW readers :) It's that time again. For us all to get on the scale to see how the week treated us (and that scale better not lie)!! Well in my case, tomorrow will be two weeks since I have gotten on a scale. I didn't go to the Dr. last week so I have no idea what my loss was for that week. I will be going tomorrow to jump on that scary tall/hateful thing tomorrow at noon to see if my hard work has paid off! So I will post my weight loss tomorrow. Sorry that I can't post it today. My Dr. is only in town Tuesday and Thursday. So sadly it must wait! But I do want to hear all about your weight loss, so let's hear it ladies!!


Today here at WWW, I want you all to do a little math for me :) Don't be nervous. I want you to calculate your TEE! Thanks to Jillian Michaels, I will forever be calculating this to see how many calories I can have in one day! I promise this is worth doing. It's really neat how it works and what it tells you. I had no idea this even existed :) What is TEE you ask?
It is the number of calories you burn in a day. TEE is short for total energy expenditure. Your TEE is unique to you. They vary from person to person, so take the time to learn yours so you can balance your caloric intake and costs in a totally efficient way as you work toward your weight loss goal.

Your TEE takes into account 3 factors. So we will do 3 different calculations! Here's how you do this... Ready? Grab a calculator, some paper and a pencil.

1) Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)- Your BMR is the number of calories your body burns in a day when operating at absolute minimum capacity. So, in other words, if you did absolutely nothing all day your BMR, then, is the number of calories your body burns just to keep you alive. (heartbeat, digestion, etc).
BMR is influenced by several factors, including age, weight, height, gender, environmental temperature, and diet and exercise habits. It's almost impossible to pin down your BMR to the exact calorie, but you can get close. Here are the formulas for calculating your BMR. Grab a calculator and plug your numbers into the formula that is for you!

MALE: 66 + (6.3 × body weight in pounds) + (12.9 × height in inches) − (6.8 × age in years)

FEMALE: 655 + (4.3 × weight in pounds) + (4.7 × height in inches) − (4.7 × age in years)

Keep your number handy!!

2) The next number you need to know is your physical activity level. Which one of these descriptions best fits your day-to-day routine? Give yourself the appropriate score.

- a. Sedentary Physical Activity Level - Do you have a desk job or sit for most of the day? If the answer is yes, your score is 1.1.
- b. Light Physical Activity Level - Are you on your feet and walking around for at least half the day? If this is you, your score is 1.2.
- c. Moderate Physical Activity Level - Are you on the move pretty much all day, with a few breaks, this is the level for you. If you're in this category, your score is 1.3.
- d. High Physical Activity Level - Does your job require being constantly on the move, and does it require manual labor? If you're in this group, your score is 1.4.

3) The last part is figuring out the number of calories you burn from exercise on an average day. The number of calories you burn during any exercise session depends on a few things, primarily your body weight.
Use Jillian's chart to help you figure out the number of calories you burn from exercise on an average day according to your weight, the type of exercise you do, and how long. Keep that number handy!

Okay, ready to find out how many calories you burn daily???? (PS-I will share my numbers)

Get the three numbers you've come up with and simply multiply your BMR by your daily activity score, and then add your exercise expenditure. Whatever you get from this final calculation is your magic number. TADA!!!!!!!!! Easy huh? I am obsessed with this number almost as much as what my scale says :)

Here's mine...

BMR: 1881.6 (how much my body burns just so I can stay alive-WOW!)
Physical Activity Score: 1.1
Exercise Cal Burned: 800

So my TEE is... 2869.76!! So basically what that means is that as long as I eat less calories than that (and I do for sure) I should steadily lose weight! Little by little! We shall see if that works!

AND I LEAVE YOU WITH THIS DELICIOUS RECIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!
STUFFED PEPPERS
INGREDIENTS:
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 cup water
6 green bell peppers
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned.
Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)
In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers.
Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender. (Honestly though-you don't have to bake them THAT long) Just check the peppers for how tender you want them to be)!!

Sorry it was a long one ... but I had to share the TEE and this yummy recipe! Happy WWW girls! I will update you on my weight loss tomorrow. But let's hear all about yours and any tips you have!!!!!!!!!!!
This blog is not supported nor endorsed by any part of the Weight Watchers Corporation. All point values are figured using the Weight Watchers eTools and are assumed to be as accurate as possible. Recipes that are labeled as "Core (WW)" may contain trace amounts of non-Core ingredients, but the point value per serving of those ingredients would figure to be .5 points or less in all cases.

20 comments:

Lis said...

Thanks for such a great post!! I am starting to feel really motivated to get in shape and become healthier overall. I think WWW is fantastic, I need to hop on board!!

With Love from New Orleans said...

How do you join WWW? Sounds awesome! I am definitely interested.
Thanks,
Nola

SouthernAccent said...

Great post! I did the calculation and that is going to be my magic number from now on! I've lost 4 lbs so far! Yeah!

Broke-ass Bride said...

I'm in love with Jillian Michaels! I do The Shred every other day, and find her so motivating.

This was a great and useful post. But, I want to hear more about your meal plan from the doctor... I'm fascinated!

Hooray for WWW!

PS - My favorite low point treat lately is Ak Mak crackers spread with laughing cow triangles and topped with tofurkey and olives - a lunch that feels gourmet but is really just so good for you!

Rebecca Taylor said...

This is a great post! Thanks so much for passing along this info. It will really help me understand how many calories I need to (not) eat! :)

New Girl on Post said...

That was a very informative post! Thanks so much for giving all that information.

My magic number is 2,037.94. Not too bad. I think I can live with that!

d.a.r. said...

Yummy recipe!!! I am so going to have to try that!

Lindsey said...

Great post! I will be calculating my TEE! And loving the recipe, I need to make this! Thanks for the great info!

Mojito Maven said...

LOVE Jillian Michaels!! One thing I love about WW is that once you figure out your TEE you realize that if you just stick to your points on WW you are automatically consuming less than your TEE...awesome!!

good luck at the doc tomorrow and let us know how it goes!

Broke-ass Bride said...

You inspired me! I gave you a shout-out today on me blog!

SassyEngineer said...

Thanks for the info and I can't wait to hear how your appointment goes tomorrow!

The Heckathorns said...

My magic number is 2148! That's not too bad...I'm gonna have to keep up now that I know my "magic number." :)

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

I was going to make stuffed peppers/zucchini for Hubby's birthday appetizer!! :) Yum! Hope all goes really well at the drs tomorrow!

Jessica said...

That is so helpful! Thank you!! I didn't do it yet, but I for sure will be tomorrow.
Those peppers sound delish

*One Step at a Time* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hollie said...

great info! and the recipe sounds delish!

Kitty Cat said...

Thanks for making all that calculating easy to understand.

Glamorous Life of a House Wife said...

Oh yum - thanks for the recipe! I love stuffed peppers and since now that I know it's healthy - I need to make them more often!

Danica said...

OH MY! I love Jillian Michels too! She is like the most amazing workout guru ever! :) I mean just look at her bod... can I please have like 1/4 of her muscles?! Ha ha, good recipe too! Going to try that out!

Mrs. Buck said...

thanks for posting the calculations - very interesting! I'm so used to thinking in points I never know the calories of what I'm eating or how many calories I should be eating, but I can rattle off the points value for almost anything. Oh WW - how you've taken over my life!