Monday, December 15, 2008

Shock & Awe!

Imagine pulling out of your driveway and seeing a dead animal in your front yard. (And imagine being the animal lover I am) I was devastated. I had no idea what it was. No IDEA!! I was too panicked to focus. I first walked as close as I could because at this point I am wondering if it's a dog or deer. If it was a dog, I would be scooping this BIG dog into my trunk and off to the vet we would go. I was so afraid of what I would see if I got closer. I was about 6 feet from the poor baby, when I realized it was a deer. Not that I was relieved or anything but if this would have been a dog I would have stroked out. I, at this point, was crying for this baby (it wasn't so much a baby as a large deer-but to me they are all babies). I could have sworn I saw him breathing. But then I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me through my tears. I am almost 100% sure he wasn't. Even if he was what was I going to do. I couldn't lift this deer into my car by myself. Now, imagine, driving by this crazy lady standing on the side of the road (we live off of a kinda main road, not really heavy traffic, but while I stood there in shock for 5 minutes or so at least 6 or so cars came by). I was standing 6 feet from the road in a skirt and high heel knee boots just staring at the ditch. Because from the road (in a car) you couldn't see the deer. It's kind of like a small embankment then a ditch (hard to explain/understand I know). I called Hubs, because at this point I am freaking out. Not knowing what to do. He calls the city and has them come pick it up. I don't think I could have gone home unless they came to get it. He just called to say they got it. Poor little baby deer. I don't know about where you live, but here in Smalltown, GA, freaking deer are everywhere. Why, oh why do they think they can cross the road without getting killed! It is beyond me!

Ok, sorry for the sad story. I know some people think I am crazy as hell, but I really do just have a soft spot in my heart for all animals!!

Speaking of animals... my In-Laws just got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy. I am flipping!! Hubs called to tell me, and I immediately said... "Go get me one!!" I have ALWAYS wanted one of these babies (well really what breed don't I want??)! These are the most precious things ever (well besides my shih tzus)!! If you don't know what they look like, here's a pic: (I will try to get a picture tonight when we go over there so I can steal it... er... I mean see it!)


My weekend was pretty easy going. Friday night we went to the hockey game and that was fun. It's weird though being at a sporting event you know nothing about. It was interesting for sure. We saw at least 6 fights that I am convinced are pre planned. The guys looked like they were boxing not throwing down like I imagined!
Saturday, Hubs and I slept in (much needed) and then Christmas shopped all day. It was fun! Then that night, we just ate dinner at home and watched "Wanted" (which by the way if you haven't seen-GO RENT IT! It's amazing) and "Step Brothers" (by far one of the funniest movies ever made!!). Sunday it was off to church and then lunch and I parked my hiney on the couch around 2 and didn't move the rest of the day. It's fun pretending like you have nothing to do!! Rest was much needed this weekend and definitely appreciated!
Well In an hour I am off to work my butt off. Because of sickness and family being in town last week I only worked out Monday and Tuesday. I guess every now and then we all deserve a little time off from the gym, but it felt/feels really weird to have been out that long... I never allow myself to do that. So it's back to it (sigh!)...
PS-this week I promise to give you the "Christmas Tour" of our house! Pictures must be taken tonight :)

28 comments:

The Shabby Princess said...

Oh no!! I'm from a small town and we used to have deer in our yard and even bears (yes, bears!). I never had that kind of up close encounter though--I'd be traumatized too. I'm so sorry!!

OMG, I LOVE Cavalier King Charles Spaniels!! They are soooo cute and they are next on my puppy dog list...which my husband is fine with because there is no way we could fit 3 doggies in our teeny yard... One day... One day... !

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Saw on Newlywed that you're house hunting...can I help?

:) email me at clemsongirlandthecoach@yahoo.com

I'm the most fun!

GIRL FROM THE LAND of 10KL said...

That's so sad about the deer =(

On a happier note, sounds like you had a good weekend! There's nothing better than staying home and watching good movies after a long crazy week.

Have a great week =)

Mrs. Ruby said...

I completely feel your pain on being a HUGE animal lover! I would adopt ALL if I could.
Oh, and King Charles Spaniels may be the cutest little dogs ever. Well those, and every other dog out there.

*Kimmie* said...

Sorry to hear about the poor deer!

That puppy is adorable!

Mojito Maven said...

I am so sorry about the deer!! I bet that was so traumatic!! I'm glad you are ok though!!

And Mr. Mojito and I are getting a cavalier just like the one you posted after the new year!! SO EXCITED!!

morewineplease said...

Oh gosh, I bet you did have a hard time...just by reading your blog the last few months I know how much you love animals.

I must see Step Brothers!!

Broke-ass Bride said...

My baby dog is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Bichon Frise mix (cavachon) and he's the cutest, sweetest thing EVER!

Michelle said...

Oh I am sooooooo sorry you had to see that. I am an EXTREME animal lover like you and I would have done the same thing if it was a dog or a cat. Heck, I would have probably been trying to pull the deer in my car! The last thing i saved was a baby bird that fell from a destroyed nest in the middle of Main Street (busy street) in Hood River. There was a dead baby next to him (he had not even had his eyes open yet) and I knew he would be dead...whether it was someone walking on him or a car! I scooped him up and hand fed him every two hours, keeping him in a box over a heating pad. I am pleased to say my girlfriend has him as a pet and he is the most spoiled bird I know. He even got out once but came back because he knew he had it better! Who wouldn't being fed chicken, hummus, peas, carrots, desserts! He's more spoiled than I am! :)

It's so nice to see another animal lover like me. :)

Being Brazen said...

shame poor baby deer :( I would have cried too

Krystyn said...

Poor baby deer. I don't know what I would have done.

And, sounds like a great Sunday.

Prissy Southern Prep said...

That puppy is precious!!!! You MUST take pics of your in-laws baby. I can't wait to see!

Kari Beth said...

Gotta love the uneventful weekends! That puppy is the cutest! I can't wait to see pictures :)

Sarah said...

our friends have two cavaliers, one tan and white (like the picture) and one tri-color. They are so cute and nice to Keara who insists on pulling their huge ears till they scream (she's kinda like "hey what's with the toys attached to your face? let me get em for you")... i wouldn't mind having one of them either:) theyre very cute!

The Pink Chick said...

I adore Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, but I have to admit that I love any type of dog! I have 3 puppies, but I would have a dozen if my husband would let me!

Lynsey and Brian said...

I've always said when I get another puppy it is going to be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel! I LOVE THEM! They are soo adorable!

Emily said...

Oh NO! I would freak out!! I cant believe there was a dead deer in your yard! wowzer!
That new puppy is darling.. such an adorable face:) i sure do love dogs!

SassyEngineer said...

Holy cow! I would freak out too - especially since I live in the middle of a huge metroplex! I'm glad the city picked it up though. That puppy is too cute! My sis is hoping to get one soon - she already has a Springer Spaniel.

With Love from New Orleans said...

Aww I am so sorry you had to deal with that today... I am the exact same way when it comes to animals!

My next dog will definitely be a cavalier king charles... they are ADORABLE!!

Hope you feel better throughout the day...
XO

NewlywedCentral said...

OK... seriously? You should put up a warning when posting things so cute it makes you squeal at work!

Tracy's Porch said...

I want to reach through my computer and squeeze that puppy! So cute!

Not Your Average Belle said...

I'm so glad to hear that someone else is as "ridiculous" (that's how my fiance describes it) about animals as I am!

Kristy said...

I hate seeing things like that...I cry for every deer I see on the side of the road and every cat and every squirrel...i don't however cry for the nasty possums and raccoons...YUCK!

MG said...

I have a Cavalier King Charles, I refer to her on my blog as Little Cujo, but don't let the name fool you, they are seriously the best dogs ever.

Texan Couture said...

That is so sad! Where I live in Austin they have deer constantly on the road luckily its an off road side half loop so no real traffic and they are just so cute, I don't know what I would do if I saw one hurt :(

Erica said...

LOVE my Cavalier! They are the best dogs ever! So calm and sweet.

Jules said...

We have 2 Cavaliers and they really are the best dogs ever. They are so loving, sweet and well-behaved.
I can't wait to see pics of the puppy!

The Rauths said...

um looovvveee that puppy! reminds me of my parents! =)