Wednesday, January 7, 2009

WWW-New Year


It's a NEW YEAR and you know what that means... most people use this time of year to start something NEW! And that something new is usually a "diet"! Well I am here to tell you that "starting" a diet means that one day it will "end!" And you can't do that or all the weight will come right back. So look at it this way, Use 2009 as a time to start a NEW LIFESTYLE! New ways of eating, new ways of exercising, a new you!
I have said it before, and I will say it again... Weight Watchers is a lifestyle change. It's not something you can follow for a year or so and then stop. You can't do that with any "diet." You have to look at WW as something you plan to do forever. Now, might you splurge once in a while, sure and that's ok. You can't beat yourself up over it! But it's a change you have to make permanent!
I have talked with several bloggers through email about how I lost my weight and they have asked me what I ate to do so. So I thought what better way to share than to explain my diet and exercise plan. This will be VERY helpful to those of you who are PICKY. I don't eat meat very often and I hate veggies. So how did I do it?? For me it was a simple calculation! You can check out my post here to see what I mean. You need to calculate your TEE (total energy expenditure ). It is the number of calories you burn in a day. So here is how I kept up with that. My TEE was 2869.76. So I knew that as long as I ate less than that per day I would lose. Well I eat WAY less than that. I eat 1200 calories a day. Some days I might have 1400 but no more! I do still follow WW, but I also watch my calories. With WW I am allowed 21 points. I don't go to meetings anymore. I have all the literature and I know how many points I am allowed and I honestly use this blog as my "keep me accountable" place! It takes the place of my meetings... thanks to WWW. I really feel lots of support from you lovely ladies. Thank you so much!
The reality is... IT'S HARD... IT'S NOT ALWAYS FUN... SOMETIMES IT'S FRUSTRATING... BUT IT'S WORTH IT!! October 1, I weighed in at 164, the biggest I have ever been. My size 10's were getting snug and it was time to take control back over my eating! My problem was the weekends. I would diet Mon-Thurs and then binge on the weekends. And I was gaining. That showed me that you can't "diet" you have to make a lifestyle change. So I did! And I am now 141 and a size 4/6. And I couldn't be happier. I don't know another time when I felt as confident about my body as I do today. Sure there are things I would love to change, but I finally love my body for what it is! I feel comfortable and I am so glad. Over 3 months I shed 23 pounds. I never thought I could do it that quickly. But it just fell off. Between changing my diet and continuing my 4-5 day a week hour and a half workouts, I had great success. My mind set changed. I began looking at food in a different way. Not as something I WANTED but as something I NEEDED. It's my body's fuel to live. Food is for fuel not fun!! I realize some people may think "What kind of life is that to live if you can't enjoy your food?" Honestly, I do enjoy my food. Like I said earlier, I don't eat lots of meat or veggies. They aren't my fave foods and it's realistic for me to give up something that I love (like pasta, rice, bread). That whole NO CARB thing DOESN'T work and it isn't healthy! Trust me! You need carbs, fat and calories. It's WHAT you eat that makes a huge difference!
Because this is something I am so passionate about and have learned so much about over the past several months (and year) if you ever want to email me a questions about WW or lifestyle changes or workouts please do. I am currently helping several people turn their lives around. And I love helping others find happiness within themselves!! It doesn't matter what the magazines tell you, you SHOULD look like it's how you feel about YOU! So email me with any questions. I will keep whatever we talk about between me and you :) (lynzau@gmail.com)
I want to share what a typical weeks meals are for me. Now, please understand... I AM SUPER PICKY!! I mean bad! My husband gets different means than me. I eat the same thing all the time until I find something new I like. He loves veggies and meats so he gets more yummy healthy meals. Mine are quite simple and boring but I love them. They helped me tremendously over the past three months and still going strong today :) Now, I am going to share the recipes too so here ya go ladies: (if you have any questions about any of the recipes please feel free to leave me a comment with your email or email me)


Breakfast:
1. ¾ cup of Special K with ½ cup of 2% milk
2. ½ cup of Dannon Light and Fit Strawberry Yogurt and 1 Quaker 100 calorie bar
3. 1 packet of Cheddar Cheese Grits & One slice of Light Wheat bread with a little spray butter
4. Broiled eggs. Only eat the egg whites. Take one cooked egg, scoop out the yellow (throw away-that’s where ALL the fat and cholesterol is) and mash the white up and put it on a piece of bread with a little spray butter and salt and pepper. You could even have two of these. You will be surprised how filling this is. I like this!!

Snack Suggestions:
1. Apple
2. Orange
3. Quaker 100 calorie bar
4. 100 calorie popcorn
5. 5 crackers with wing sauce (the fat free/calorie free kind that I can't live without)

Lunch:
1. Grilled Cheese: Two slices of light wheat bread & 1 slice of 2% cheese with a little spray butter. With 5 or 10 crackers.
2. 1 Carb Smart or Fat Free tortilla with ½ cup of chili beans, salsa, small sprinkle of cheese and lettuce. Then eat a piece of fruit.
3. LC pizza or Ravioli (only if you need to grab something quick on the go)
4. Subway turkey (no cheese or mayo-get mustard) and no chips. Bring your own crackers or FF Pringles!

Snack: See above

Dinner: Recipes


Tortilla Pizza
1 FF or Carb Smart Tortilla
¾ cup of Fat Free Mozzarella Cheese
½ cup of Newman’s Own Marinara Sauce
17 Turkey Pepperonis (cooked for 1 minute 30 seconds in the microwave)
Pepper rings-however many you want
You can add any veggies like: peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.

Take your tortilla, spread the sauce, then the cheese, then add the pepperonis, then all the veggies. I always add a little garlic powder and salt. Cook it on 350 for about 15 minutes. I always fold mine over like a sandwich. It’s very filling. Have that and one of your desserts or piece of fruit!


Fiesta Rotini
1 zucchini (diced)
1 medium onion (diced)
1/3 cup of banana pepper rings (cut up)
½ cup of sliced black olives
1 tbsp of minced garlic (or you could use garlic salt)
Could add also: jalapeno pepper, mushrooms (I did)
1 can of diced tomatoes undrained
16 oz or wheat rotini pasta
2 tbsp of chili powder
Parmesan cheese as desired. I say about two or three tbsp.

Cook the rotini.
Over medium heat, spray some Pam Spray and cook the garlic and onion. Then add the zucchini and peppers. Cook all until tender. Then add the chili powder, tomatoes and olives and whatever else you add. Bring to a boil them reduce to low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the drained rotini and stir well and serve with the Parm. Cheese.

Yum! (according to Hubs) and the only fat & calories you have is the pasta. This will make 4-6 servings. So you should have about 1 ½ cups cooked. Maybe with a small side salad with FF dressing. This will be very filling and around 350-400 calories max!


Tacos
1 FF or Carb Smart Tortilla
¼ pound of Extra Lean Ground Beef
Taco Spices
Lettuce
Small sprinkle of FF Mozz cheese
½ cup of chili beans
(sometimes I leave out the tortilla and make a taco salad)

PS—this is enough to make two tacos if you are really hungry. The meat makes more than you think. Sometimes I have two. Sometimes just one. If you make two it only adds 90 calories for the 2nd tortilla. The calories for this is around 350. For one. 400 for 2! NOT BAD AT ALL. And very filling!

Cook the beef and sprinkle about ¼ of a pack of taco seasoning and add a little water. Let it simmer about 5 minutes. Heat the beans. Add that to the taco. Add cheese. Lettuce and all the salsa you want.

Keep the left over beans for a side another night or for a bean taco for lunch.


Black Bean and Corn Quesadilla
(I haven’t tried this yet but I am gonna-for Hubs of course)
Spray of Pam
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 tablespoon brown sugar (I will leave this out)
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Spray Butter
8 (8 inch) FF or Carb Smart Tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded 2% or FF Cheese
Heat Pam Spray in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in beans and corn, then add sugar, salsa, and pepper flakes; mix well. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Spray the tortilla with butter and place it in a large skillet over medium heat. Then, sprinkle evenly with cheese (1/2 cup), then top with some of the bean mixture. Place another tortilla on top, cook until golden, then flip and cook on the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.

Calories: Less than 300 cal per quesadilla. You could make the whole mix and freeze it for later meals.


Bunless Hamburger
¼ pound of Extra Lean Ground Beef
1 slice of 2% cheese
Lettuce
Tomato
Pickle
Mustard/Ketchup
Onion (if you like)

Marinate the beef in a little Dales sauce. Cook it on top of the stove with no oil til done. Add cheese.Then place it on one leaf of lettuce and put mustard/ketchup and other toppings. Top with another piece of lettuce. Cut it and eat it like a steak. Really is filling. But you could have it with baked potato fries! 5 WW Points!


Baked Potato Fries
1 medium potato
Peel and slice into small fries. Place on foil sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle with Seasoned Salt and some pepper.
Cook in the oven on 425 for 20 – 30 minutes. This is only ONE WW point!!


Chili O Meatless Chili
1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 16 oz can of Chili beans
1/2 pack of Chili O Chili Mix

Mix and Heat! It's soooo good. I eat this at least twice a week. If you split this into two meals, it's only 3 WW points each meal and believe me. It's filling!


Pasta Marinara
1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta
1/2 cup of Newmans Own Marinara
Garlic Powder

Plain and simple. Cook the pasta, drain! Add marinara and garlic powder. 4 WW Points

31 comments:

Lindsey said...

THANK YOU for this post! I always love learning what other people eat (is that weird? haha) and I am so excited to try out these recipes.
And congrats again on the weight loss, you look amazing and are such an inspiration!

Lori said...

I am trying to lose weight for my March 14th wedding. I should be thinking I need to lose weight because I would be more healthy. The whole change of lifestyle thing scares me cause I can't imagine going on not enjoying chocolate or whatever I am having a craving for. I have cut back on my "bingeing" and now am trying to go to the gym 6 days a week. When I feel like I can't do anymore on the treadmill, then I try to seeif their is a class in session that I can join in for another 15 minutes or jump on the bike. Hopefully soon I will start to feel my clothes become looser. My dress is too big is one area so I haven't made any alterations to it yet. I figured I could wait another month to see if I could take it in all over. I have never been happy with myself when I look in the mirror. And when I went looking for a wedding dress, it seriously depressed me! I am not crazy about my dress, but I bought it because I was able to fit into it. Maybe I can get my size 16 body into a 10 one day...

Mrs. Cup said...

This is a great post! Thank you SO much!

Piper Jacquelyn said...

So much great information! And congrats on your success & keeping it off! I've never tried WW, but I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. And I love that you say not starting a diet, rather changing the way you live!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

This is so wonderful! I'm saving this for when I need to lose my post-baby weight! :)

Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thanks so much for posting all of this!! It's so motivating to read about your weight loss. You look awesome! I wrote down several things you listed and am going to the store after work! :)

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Thank you so much for this post! I love it! In the past I have said that I was working on dropping some pounds but needed really feel it...this time I really want to make the lifestyle change and am so excited for my changed outlook about food! I agree with you 100% that you eat to live and not live to eat...I think I had that backwards over the last few years and that is when I noticed the additional pounds.

Thank you so much for the recipes! I am excited to try something new and healthy!

I just enjoy reading you blog so much!

NewlywedCentral said...

What a fantastic post! I have about 10 lbs. I need to lose and have been considering WW simply because of you!!

I love your meal/snack suggestions -- Working out is where I'll struggle (so busy already) but I'm hearing what you're saying from going from "have to" to "need to" --

CONGRATS to you for all your success!!!!! You're beautiful!

Katie said...

I love how passionate you are about your lifestyle change. It is very inspirational! and all that working out puts me to shame! you go girl!

The Pink Chick said...

Thanks you for this post! I really appreciate you sharing you recipes and the things that you eat! It is so helpful!

SassyEngineer said...

So many good ideas - where to start! I am trying to eat healthier, but it is hard because I am so not picky and love food. I bought some WW string cheese and Ice cream and sherbet bars to help me with my snacking though - I think that is what really started getting me at work. I have decided to not focus on the weight but my health - exercise, what i eat, how i feel, how my clothes fit. I'm afraid I will obsses over it otherwise!

Mojito Maven said...

YAYAYAYAY you are looking HOT!! I am totally with you on the no meat/veggie thing...i love my carbs!! These recipes are awesome. I'm going to try and post something similar tomorrow!

jlc said...

This is really interesting! I hate veggies too and appreciate this fabulous advice!

After all, YOU are fabulous. :)

Katy said...

Weight Watchers is such a good choice for men & women.I have maintained weight using there prgram for 2 years. I was a member right up until I found out I was pregnant. I cant wait to go back in May.

Jessica said...

Thank you so much for posting all of this. The inspirational words and the eating tips.
I just don't know what is wrong with me. I've done this before. I know I can do it. And I feel so much better when I do it. I have 28lbs to lose to get to my goal weight. I get myself pumped up. It lasts for about a day. Then I'm done with it. I know it is all in my mind and i have to get a grip on this so you girls are very much an inspiration to me.
Congrats on all of your success with this!!

Vineyard Vogue said...

What a great post!! You're definitely an inspiration and great source of support for anyone else trying to make a lifestyle change! I loved Blue-Eyed Bride's shout out to you and MM today! So true!! :)

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Congrats on all your success! Your recipes sound great!

Victoria said...

Thank you so much for this post... I just came across your blog today, but I have found it useful so quickly :) Thanks again... You really made me look at dieting different :)

V

Southern Mom said...

Thank you so much for this post! I've been trying to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and this is going to help.

Krystyn said...

Oh, yummy recipes!

I do the potatoes all the time. If you like a little zest, use Tony Chaseries (Sp?)...just a little spicy.

And, it works well with sweet potatoes, too (they are just harder to cut)!

Being Brazen said...

Thanks for posting that - so interesting to know a bit more about what you can eat on WW.

Prissy Southern Prep said...

I made this pizza with a few minor changes and I am about to post about it. Thanks so much for posting the recipes and all about this topic!! You're the best!!!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for this post! It's awesome! And your recipes sounds great! I'll definitely be trying a few of them!

How do you budget your points throughout the day? That is my biggest struggle is knowing when to have how much so that I'm not hungry all the time and still have enough points for dinner...

JennyLo said...

Thank you for these recipies!!

Tara Gibson said...

awesome post and congrats on your weight loss! Those recipes sounds amazing!

Preppy Chemist said...

I use SparkPeople and it has made a huge difference for me. It's also about the whole lifestyle thing. My mom lost 30 pounds and has maintained it for over 6 months. I think for me, just being mindful of what I eat and cooking for myself is the most important thing.

morewineplease said...

You are just rock'n it!

Question... if I eat a really healthy lunch, and then a bag of skittles (just purple, red, and orange ones)... do they cancel each other out?

LOL!

Jesslee said...

Thanks for making this post, I am also a very picky eater and am always looking for new ideas on things to eat. I too am at my biggest weight not counting my pregnancy and really need to make a lifestyle change. I am an emotional eater and lately it has been in overdrive, but reading your blog is an inspiration to get my big butt in gear, so Thank You so much and keep it up -you look amazing!

The Mrs said...

Great post! I agree with you I wish we could work out together. We seem to always be on the same page.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for sharing! I can't wait to try some of these recipes! :)

KrissyBo. said...

What great meal ideas! Thanks for sharing! Also, is your email address posted?