Wednesday, April 22, 2009

DIY headboard is complete & chic

After coming across this MOST fabulous website, This Young House, I got the crazy DIY disease!! (I mean seriously Sherry and her husband John have done AMAZING things to their home-such an inspiration!) I want to do everything myself and the unfortunate thing about that is, that takes lots of time and energy (and $)! And well, seeing as how we are pinching pennies (baby on the way), I am tired all the time (baby on the way) and we have like 10 friends getting married this year, I don't have any of those!! So it's taking me and Hubs extra long to get the things we want done, done! But it's been fun so far and we will be doing more soon!

Her "how-to" about upholstering a headboard was perfect for me! I wanted to get rid of Hubs bachelor bedroom furniture but we didn't hit the lotto so small changes for now! The headboard was the best start! Ok, well remember this post, I couldn't decide what fabric or color to go with (I ended up going with none of those but thank you all for your help!). Well I headed off to find some on Saturday ALONE! That was my first mistake. Never go to make a big decision like that all alone! After much stress and almost a few tears, I settled on a wonderful fabric that I thought would go great! And it did! I got it at this amazing place called Joann's! They had so much to choose from and great prices (my fabric cost me $8 for two yards)! I will be back for fabric for curtains and pillows!! I got some batting to cover the frame before i put the fabric on it (that cost $10). Hubs had a staple gun, so I was good to go! Once I got going, it was so easy! And fun :)

It was so easy yall! Really! I will definitely be doing that again! Hubs went and bought a piece of plywood from Home Depot and cut me a frame that was 60 inches wide and 34 inches high! This fit for our queen bed!

Here is the fabric I chose...



Here's the frame Hubs cut.
And the batting on the frame!



And here's the finished product hung in our guest bedroom. I didn't show you the rest of the room because it's not quite complete, but we are working on it! :) I promise to post room pics soon!

And if I ever want to change the fabric, I now know it will be so easy and inexpensive :)

Our house is slowly coming together. I promise to do "after" pics room by room soon! :)

34 comments:

Jackie said...

So pretty!!

Megan said...

looks great!!

SassyEngineer said...

I love it! You did such a great job. DIY projects are a lot of fun, and they give you such a great sense of accomplishment. Don't feel like you have to get it all done at once or you will be overwhelmed. It will all eventually get done!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

That looks great! I say that your first DIY Project was a success!

Emily said...

ahh yeah my friend! I love it:) Come see me in ok and help me wiht stuff at my house.. I cant wait till we get meet in person:) Ill run and give you a big hug:)

Nessa said...

I like it, its def. cute!

morewineplease said...

love it! Need to do it... sending this to hubby! thanks :)

Dollface said...

wow!! I have the same colors in my room... love this! xxooo

Muffy said...

LOVELY!!!!! What fun!!!

Gwen said...

Great project and it looks fabulous!!! Good choice on the fabric too!!! XOXO

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

awesome job girl!!! i so need to do this too! i'm coming back to this post after we move=)!

*~! megs !~* said...

I love it! You did a fantastic job!

Petunia said...

Wow--it looks great and doesn't seem too hard!! I love the fabric!

Piper Jacquelyn said...

This Young House is great! And you know what else is great? YOUR HEADBOARD! I've always wanted to make one, but am slightly afraid. Great work!

Krystyn said...

So cute and sassy!

Lynsey and Brian said...

It looks great! Love the fabric and you did a great job! Don't you just love This Young House? Sherry and John are amazing!

M and G said...

I've probably said this before, but I LOVE DIY projects!! Thank you for sharing, it looks sooo cute!

Mrs. Newlywed said...

You did a fabulous job! I want to do a chair that we have...it wasn't expensive, so if I ruined it that would be okay. You may have just given me the guts to try it!

BLC :o said...

Wow, I am super impressed! Xoxo-BLC

TexasLauren77 said...

Very pretty! I really like it, and am contemplating the same thing for my room...One of these days I'll buy a real bed frame, but just like you, it's penny-pinching season around here! ;) Good to know it will look so nice and only cost me $18!! :)

Erin said...

It looks FANTASTIC!!!!!

G. said...

great idea and it looks very easy to do!

The Shabby Princess said...

Love it!! Way to go on a DIY project! Yay you!

The Dunaway's said...

Love the new headboard...I left you something at my blog..go check it out!

a H.I.T. said...

I love it! Husby has some furniture left over from when he was a kid, but the twin bed is missing a frame - this is perfect for us! Thanks for sharing :)

Lindsey said...

It looks fabulous!!

Katy said...

Wow! That looks great! Thanks so much for posting the link!

M&K said...

Great job! I am going to hop over to check out their advice, etc. because this is something I absolutely want before out little one arrives.

The Reality of Happily Ever After said...

I LOVE that you did this! YOU GO GIRL!

You need to check out my post this morning... Seems you've been given a little L.O.V.E. :)

Sherry Petersik said...

It looks super fabulous! And thanks for the link love. We're so glad to see that you're getting your DIY on!

xoxo,
Sherry (& John)
www.thisyounghouse.com

Kappa Prep said...

What a great and easy project! I still cannot wait to see the house post move in!!!

Shoshanah said...

I love the Headboard! It makes me want to do something similar in our bedroom

My name is Megan... said...

looks great!!! good job!

Hanako66 said...

you did an amazing job!!