Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Pregnancy Workout

We all remember this post right?? Well, let me say, I have come a LONG way since April 27th (the day the post was written)!


April 27th I was 16 weeks pregnant, hardly showing and struggling with my weight gain... Today, I am 22.5 weeks pregnant (almost to 6 months) and I am embracing my new body more everyday! I am actually showing now, which makes me feel better!

I had my 21 week appt with my Dr last Tuesday, and he informed me I have gained 25 lbs so far! I almost fainted!! At my 16 week appt I had only gained 15 lbs! So you mean to tell me I gained 10 lbs in 5 weeks... HOLY bleep bleep!! And you all know me and you know I was a wreck, but I started thinking (more logically I suppose). I lost 26 lbs before I got pregnant right? YES! So it could always be worse. I could have started from my weight before I lost and I would really be in trouble!! My Dr wants to keep me below 40 lbs gained! I am not sure if that will happen. I am thinking I will probably hit more like 45, but I am ok with that. NOW! I wasn't before. If you had asked me 2 months ago, I would have said, "30 at the MOST!" But seeing as how I am already at 25 gained... well that's not really an option! :)

I know how I got it off the first time and I can do it again once my sweet girl arrives! It takes discipline but it works :)
I'm not gonna lie, working out has been tough because I have always done it to LOSE WEIGHT and now I am doing it for the healthy of my baby and myself! It's been quite an adjustment not pushing myself to exhaustion! But I think I have almost mastered it!

So what am I doing, how many days and for how long?

I am doing 45 -60 minutes of cardio at least 4 days a week! Now, have I done this every week of my pregnancy? NO! Some days I just didn't feel like doing anything so I listened to my body and I didn't! Some days I had to force myself to go and just do 30 minutes of cardio. But typically I am getting in 45-60 minutes of pretty intense cardio! On Wednesday's I am doing a one hour Body Pump class. I have been doing this for years so my Dr said it was ok. I just lowered the amount of weight I am using!
My plan was to keep running because I really started enjoying it and it was actually fun and I LIKE it (crazy right?)! But around week 16 or so, my bladder couldn't take it :) I would start running, get to around half a mile and think I was about to bust, so I would run to the bathroom only to sit down and have minimal tinkle (TMI, I know)! So I started running small distances with walking in between. Better, but not great on the bladder. And my right leg started getting numb, I didn't want to take any chances of falling, so I stopped running and am back to walking, elliptical and this new machine called the Arc Trainer. It's awesome. You step on two platforms and basically swing your legs back and forth. Kind of like your are skiing! It burns more calories than the elliptical... and it's tough but not too tough for me right now, so I am loving it! I try to switch these up because I get bored these days. So I usually walk 15-20 minutes, elliptical for 15-20 minutes and then get on the arc trainer for 15-20 minutes.

So why the 25 lb weight gain so far?

Well... it was really tough for me to transition into eating regularly when I found out I was pregnant. I went from dieting really strict to needing more calories for baby and didn't need to short step myself. I was only eating around 100-1200 calories a day when I was dieting. I knew I needed to step it up to around 2,000 for baby and me! Well, then came the pounds! It was hard for me. We started eating out again on the weekends. We had cut that out when I was on my strict diet! That my friends is where most of this weight (I feel like) has come from! I know people are bound to gain weight when they get pregnant, I mean hello, duh! I get that, but I attribute at least 10 of these lbs. And that makes me sad!

I hear other people that are around my size say they only gained 25 their entire pregnancy! I don't get discouraged because I wasn't sick ONE SINGLE TIME! Never had morning sickness, never had any kind of sickness! So I have been gaining from the get go :) No loss here!

So I wrote all this to say that I have continued working out for several reasons:

- Health of my daughter
- Health of myself
- Keep my body and heart in good condition
- Because I have heard delivery is easy if you workout
- I want to snap back into my HARD workout routine after QUICKLY

I know some people in my life had concerns about me continuing to run, workout, etc. But so far I have to say, it has to have been a benefit. I can't complain about one single thing with this pregnancy. Other than being tired, it's been PERFECT. I have had no complications and I am so thankful that this pregnancy has been so great! And this greatness is all thanks to God! He receives all the glory! Without Him, none of this would be possible. I have learned to lean on Him more and more when I worry about anything and I am so thankful for that.

38 comments:

Krystyn said...

Take it easy and try not to worry too much about it.

The Reality of Happily Ever After said...

I'm not a mom, but I bet once that sweet baby comes, that will be your greatest joy!!! :)

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Good for you for working out during pregnancy! I always said I would, but I had morning sickness really bad and could hardly make it through the day as it was.

Tara Gibson said...

just listen to your body girl, dont stress out to much and dont push yourself to hard.

KrissyBo. said...

Wow, you're just a lil' workout machine! :) There is NO WAY you have gained even 15-20 lbs...you looked amazing in your pictures you posted around 18 weeks!! You sure hide the weight well, dear! :) I wouldn't worry at all, and like you said...you lost all of that weight, so you are in a great place. It will come off, especially if you are nursing and working out after she is born! :)

luckeelady said...

Do you plan to bottle or breast feed... I know breastfeeding helps get your body closer to pre-preggo size faster...
I give you mad props for still exercising though. It's not that I'm lazy (well maybe a little)but for the most part I'm always afraid if I do too much of anything and that includes even walking too much on campus that I will hurt something because of all my scares. Plus I have the cyst still and it tends to hurt more with physical activity.
I have faith that you will lose it afterwards... you're one determined woman!

Leslie said...

Good for you! I'm sure it helps that you were so fit before getting pregnant, which is inspiring me to get with it before we try to get pregnant!

JennyLo said...

Good for you girl! You are definitely an inspiration. The day I get prego I hope I can be as disciplined as you :)

TexasLauren77 said...

Good for you!! You are doing a great job, and to be at only (that's right...I said ONLY) 25 pounds right now, you are a rock star! You've got a great attitude, and your body will let you know exactly what it needs in order to keep you and your precious little girl safe and healthy! :) Glad to hear things are going so well! Hugs from Texas!

d.a.r. said...

You sound happy Lynds, and you are doing it for the right reasons now so it will be easier to form a habit of healthiness for later on. Hang in there. Every lb will be a blessing and totally forgotten once you have that sweet baby in your arms!

Miss E said...

Good for you! I'm not a mom, but I imagine if you listen to your body, it will tell you what you can handle or not. Feeling good and being healthy is the most important thing!

We need a new pic of the belly :)

Mrs. Stethoscope said...

first things first it's time for a new baby bump pic... secondly like you said you lost it before you can do it again. third if you are going to go back to hardcore weight loss and workouts after the baby I say enjoy this time of eating what you want it will only last another few weeks. O and I don't know but I'm gonna say you must have only gained the weight in your belly and boobs cuz your FB pics you like great

Dollface said...

Just take it easy... keep healthy but be smart, which I know you will do.. and you will able to diet again and shed the baby weight when you are all delivered!! :) xxooo

Mrs. Newlywed said...

Try not to think about it too much! You are right, you lost it once, and you can do it again.

It is all weight that you NEED to gain!

The Browns said...

I just read your entire post & it inspired me. I was a workout nut when I was around 19-22 years old, but now I'm 28 & 10 weeks pregnant with our first & a lot heavier than I used to be! I had a doctors appointment yesterday & I've gained 1 lb. in 2 weeks! Like you, I have not been sick at all. I know I'm not like super fat, but I'm not where I wanted to be when I got pregnant weight wise. I'm not going to stress about it to much & just try to be happy b/c we've been trying for a baby for almost 3 years, but it is hard for me to see the weight gain too. I'm sure I'll tip those scales over 200 lbs. & that scares me! I've never weighed over 200 in my life. I just keep telling myself that I worked out once before & I can do it again - even if it is AFTER the baby. It has been a struggle for me to keep weight off ever since I got married. It is hard for me to think of what someone else has to eat. I ordered a pregnancy workout DVD on Target.com & I'm still paying for a Gold's Gym membership. I've just been SO tired everyday after work. I hope it gets better!
Anyways, just wanted you to know your not alone & I'll be following you & the baby.
Bon :)

*~! megs !~* said...

you sound so much happier hon! my cousin was a strict athlete when she got pregnant and she really struggled with the same things as you. she gained weight quickly because she just wasn't sure exactly what to do. she worked out basically until she delivered and once she had the baby it took no time for her to get back to her workouts and back to her normal size. she just quit focusing on the weight and instead focused on how much she loved exercising. sounds crazy, but it worked for her! i know you'll be able to get it all back off!

Brown Eyed Girl said...

You are being so positive about all of this! I know it must be hard but I think you are doing great!!

Try not to stress too much about it and enjoy being pregnant :)

Mojito Maven said...

you're doing such a great job! heck, you're working out harder than i am and i'm not even pregnant...i clearly need to hit the gym!

Meagan said...

I'm proud of you! Do NOT even worry about your weight, you will bounce right back!!

BTW I'm following you on Twitter, my name on there is "Themrs06"

=)

A Walk With The... said...

I am so proud of you. Seriously, Lynds...you are doing such a good job of taking care of you and your little girl! Listening to you makes you an even more beautiful friend because you are so level headed and balanced...and you know what is really important. I love you girl!

Noah's Mommy said...

Liked this post....I was the opposite...I just let myself gain what I did...which ended up being over 70 lbs....OMG....never again....I'm glad you are embracing your new body...enjoy it....

Chic Runner said...

love that you are feeling better! I can't wait until she arrives too!! :)

Kristen said...

You know - all three of my pregnancies I had a high gain month in either month 4 or 5. Even with my daughter I gained 13 pounds in that fourth month but my total over all was only 40. I think it's more of a baby/growth thing. You should be fine - although that is a scary jump to see isn't it!?!

Lucky in Love said...

I've gotta tell you, I am completely and totally relating to your posts. I lost 75 lbs. before my wedding almost two years ago. I wanted to lose a little bit more...but overall I was happy. Since then, I have put some of that back on. I have been working out like a mad woman and doing WW so I'm getting back to where I want to be. I'd say I'd like to lose about 20-25 lbs. or so before we decide to try for a little one.

I've been wondering about exercising during pregnancy and everything you are talking about. I feel the same way about getting my body to where I want to be before I try for a baby. I can't imagine gaining all that weight and then being faced with losing that and more!

Thanks for all of your insight...and maybe in 6 months or so I will be calling on you for advice!! :)

Erin said...

You go girl! It will all work out, Im sure!

PS- Check my blog, got a surprise for ya!

The Pink Potpourri said...

you are such a great encourager and motivator! i'm at 21 weeks today and have not done any sort of cardio. but i have heard the same...if you are in shape, labor is a lot easier. i'm hoping it is not too late for me to start! i am going to start taking a water aerobics class 2 times a week next week!

tracypartyof4 said...

Putting things in perspective sure makes life easier and a lot less stressful!

The Shabby Princess said...

You have such a great attitude!!! And it will be a lot easier for you to get back in the groove of working out and whatnot after you have your sweet daughter if you're already in the habit.

We just got the Arc Trainer at my gym--I really want to try it!

Lindsey said...

Aw good for you! I will def run when I'm preggers so labor will be easier for sure! I bet you look amazing girl!

midnight macaroons said...

Good for you for getting out there and working out. A lot of gals don't do anything during their pregnancy. My friend Diana gained almost 50 lbs. but as soon as she had Parker she dropped it. She was back into her old clothes in 2 months but she exercised all the time while she was prego. I'm sure you'll be the same way. No worries!

parkaveprincess said...

That's great that you're working out during your pregnancy. But don't work too hard!

writing4612 said...

As long as your doctor thinks it's ok to workout, it should be fine. I've actually heard of other women working out during pregnancy-just listen to your body.

It's great that you haven't had morning sickness-not everyone has it. :)

I agree with the other commenters, try not to worry about your weight. Enjoy being pregnant!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

you just do what is best for you, your body, and your baby. don't worry about anyone else. we love you!

a H.I.T. said...

What a fabulous outlook to have on this whole thing! It sounds like you have really come to terms with gaining pregnancy weight, which I'm sure was really hard given your past struggles.

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

i wish we lived closer so we could work out together!!

you know your body, just don't push yourself too hard girl! don't make me worry about you=)! even if you do 45 by the end, no worries, you'll lose it afterward, you rock and we'll encourage each other=) but i'm so glad that you are feeling so much better and are more ok with all of it now.

i totally understand wanting to work out though, i wanted to run too from the beginning too but then i got on my back sick for 2 months=) then i felt soo good when we started hiking and i started some hefty walks and doing some videos (i know totally dorky but felt good) i feel like i should be doing so much more now but this transition is just getting in the way and making me so tired=) i'm going to try to get myself in gear a more and you don't overdo it (you def know your body though, so you do what feels good=))! (sorry for the long comment=))

morewineplease said...

I am so impressed with you.. it makes me think, if you can do this being pregnant... why can't I (who is not PG).
You go girl!

Kitty Cat said...

Doing some more catch up reading, but well done to you for working out - that's great

The Ross Family said...

Soon enough, you'll have to pee every 2 seconds while just trying to take a walk! At least that's what happened to me :-)