Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My husband's a genius!

This past weekend we accomplished several BIG things that I have been wanting done for a while. I painted the master bath (pics to come) while my wonderful, sweet, hard-working husband built Addison's bookcase for her nursery!

The original idea for this bookcase came from Pottery Barn Kids... my mom and I saw it in their catalog about 6 months or so ago and we both fell in love. And with our last name beginning with an "M" and all it just seemed perfect for the nursery! Once we decided to name her Addison we did consider only building half of it so it would make an "A" but ultimately decided I needed more space to put more stuff :) ha!
This is the "Montgomery 4 Shelf Bookcase" from PB
The original bookcase on Pottery Barn's website was $600. It was called the "Montgomery 4 Shelf Bookcase"! I was in love! So I asked Adam if he thought he could build it seeing as how it looked simple enough I was sure he could. And sure enough, he could and DID! And it turned out even better than I had imagined! He worked so hard to get all the measurements perfect and it turned out just that way, PERFECT!
Instead of spending $600 on a PB bookcase, we have a family original that we will have for a long time to come that cost us $160! Thanks go Home Depot for having all the supplies we needed Saturday! :) Big help!
It took Adam about 5 hours to do all the measuring, cutting and building and I was so shocked it all got put together so fast! It is beautiful!
Our next step is to paint it! We will prime it of course then paint it white. That is my plan for now, but seeing as how I change my mind ALL OF THE TIME these days, it could end up another color but quite sure white it is! Time will tell!
Here is Adam's masterpiece. It is wonderful. We put it in her room last night and it fits perfect and looks AWESOME! Now, paint will make it even better, once I decide ha!

49 comments:

Gwen said...

Girl your husband really is a genius!!! He's going to be such a great Daddy!!! I might just need him to convince my husband to patch that hole in my wall that he put there 2 weeks ago. LOL!!! I can't WAIT to see Addison's room all put together. It's going to be fabulous!!! XOXO

Kaitlin said...

Oh my goodness, he did an amazing job. That will look so cute in the room!

Miss HoneyDew said...

Nice job!! They look identical!

jlc said...

love love love Pottery Barn!!! Great job!!

Dollface said...

Soo cute, my new apartment is right across the street from a PB kids!! soo cute, xxooo

The Pink Chick said...

It looks great! He did such a wonderful job!! It is going to look so cute in the nursery!

The Northerner said...

that is beautiful! our last name begins with M too...I might steal your idea someday!

Kappa Prep said...

How fabulous! I cannot wait to see it painted now and of course then get a view once it is placed in Addison's room!

The Shabby Princess said...

How special!! I love it. What a wonderful thing to add to her nursery.

Tracy's Porch said...

Love it!! It will mean so much more that he made it for her and to save that much money is an added bonus!!!

I did the same thing with art work for Ashley's nursery. I saw somethings in the PB kids catalog and recreated it myself. It saves so much money. Hopefully, I will have the time and energy to do it this second time around.

kimert said...

That looks awesome!!!!

Mrs. Stethoscope said...

LOVE IT! I might totally steal your idea.... I cannot wait to see the room when it is done!

Mrs. Newlywed said...

That is so cute!

He did a great job. It will look great filled with toys and books!

Erin said...

That is so awesome!!!

Jessica said...

WOW! That is great! Can't wait to see it painted :)

Jen and Rob said...

Wow! It looks great!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

He did a great job! That will be something that can grow with her over the years. Can't wait to see it in the nursery all painted and filled!

Heather said...

Would your hubby mind sharing his measurements and any tips for this project?

Megan said...

Wow! He did a great job! That will be so special in her room!

Rachel said...

WOW!!! That is awesome!! He did a fabulous job! Can't wait to see the finished nursery for Miss Addison!

Erica said...

Love it! Looking forward to nursery pics:-)

Adventures in Newlywed said...

What a cute idea!

A Walk With The... said...

This really did turn out just wonderful! I can't wait to see how you decorate it with A's stuff!!

The Browns said...

Wow! You are lucky you have a "handyman". My husband could never do that :P He is wonderful when it comes to computers/nerd stuff though! Haha!
<3 Bon

Krystyn said...

That looks great!

TexasLauren77 said...

WOW!! I'm so impressed!! I've been needing some storage space, and I think I could do something like that...now I just have to find the time and some tools! ;) Wonder if it would look too little kid-like in my apartment or if painting it a more neutral color would "adult-ify" it? Anyway, it looks awesome!

Lindsey said...

Wow! Way to go Adam, he is genius! It looks awesome!!!

Erin said...

It does look amazing . . he did an awesome job and I bet it didnt even cost a third of the price :) Cant wait to see her room!

morewineplease said...

WOW!! Go Adam! I cannot wait to see the finished product!

Rachel said...

Those shelves look WONDERFUL! He did a great job replicating the real thing!

Mojito Maven said...

GAH I have been such a bad commenter lately but i am reading!

ANYWAY, i wish mr. m was that handy because he is DEFINITELY not. P.S. you are looking beautiful mama!

USCEmily said...

Very cool! Yay for having such a handy husband!!
I can't wait to see the nursery when Miss Addison arrives!!

Emily said...

He is a genius!! Gosh I just love it! Adam is already taking such great care of his girls!! Love u

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

What a great job! Can't wait to see it painted!

Miss E said...

Amazing! It looks just like the catalog. So excited to see the room all complete!

Miss E said...

Amazing! It looks just like the catalog. So excited to see the room all complete!

Aartee said...

that looks just like the catalog!!

It Is Everlasting said...

It looks amazing! Of course my first thought was "I wonder if Mr. Everlasting could do that..." Haha! Seriously your sweet baby is so lucky to have the room ya'll are putting together. Can't wait to see more!

Meagan said...

I LOVE IT!! Don't you just love having a handy husband?!!? I want one!!

Shoshanah said...

I think it turned out so good. I love it!

My name is Megan... said...

oh my goodness!! He did a GREAT job! Very smart move guys. I can't wait to see the nursery! FUN FUN! :)

Amber said...

It looks great! They do look identical. I want one for my house.

Lucky in Love said...

Oh my gosh! What a fantastic idea! You husband did such a great job and I cannot wait to see it painted! Lovely!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

That looks great!!! He truly is a genius!!

Blissfully Enamored said...

love this!!! what a great husby for making it too!!!!

check out my giveaway on my blog!!!!

The Ross Family said...

Go Adam! That looks great!!! I need to show my hubby this post (hint, hint).

JAMIE HIRYAK said...

I'm amazed at the bookcase building abilities!! :)

A Wedding Story said...

What a fabulous hubby!!! Now if he could only build fluffy down sofas!!!

mrs boo radley said...

Nice work! This looks great.