Saturday Adam and I attended our birthing class. Let me tell you, this class both EXCITED and SCARED the crap out out of me! Here are a few things I learned...
- Why do epidurals go down and not up???? Um, they actually can go UP and you have to be rushed to the OR and intubated until it wears off. In other words, it numbs your brain!!! HELLO! Scary!
- I will be having an epidural!! FOR SURE! We watched two videos. One of natural childbirth and one with the epidural... I want DRUGS!
- If you breast feed, they recommend you not use ANY bottles for the first 12 weeks so the baby doesn't get "nipple confusion"! WHAT??? I will be using bottles! FOR SURE!
- Now a days, they say do not let your baby sleep in a crib with a bumper. They could smother themselves?? Couldn't they also knock themselves out on the bars?? I was confused!
- Gaining close to 50 lbs isn't abnormal. It's not the best thing, but more women get closer to 50 than the 35 recommended. WHEW!
- They say don't come to the hospital until your contractions are like 3-4 minutes apart. I will be there as soon as I feel the FIRST contraction. I might be waiting forever til they give me a room but I am not hanging out at home and taking the risk of dilating really fast and not being able to get an epidural!
- I have a whole new respect for women that don't get epidurals after watching that video!
- C-sections aren't as bad as I thought they would be, but watching the video scared to POO out of me!
- When the head is crowning they refer to it as the "burning ring of fire!" thank you for drugs :)
- Apparently there is a right and wrong way for a baby to suck on your nipple and if they do it wrong apparently it can be pure HELL for the mother! GREAT! I mean I can't school my baby how to do this right! What do I do so my nipples don't crack and bleed???
- I completely understand why people don't breastfeed these days! You are supposed to breastfeed every TWO hours from the time you START! Apparently that's all you do!
- If you poop on the delivery table, no one will see but the nurse. They put up a curtain of sorts so no one sees it! I don't have a fear of this... I am just quite sure it's gonna happen and after this weekend it's VERY common!
I could go on and on but just know that I learned LOTS that got me very excited. Made the whole thing seem more real and she will be here in 10 short weeks. Could be as few at 6 or 7.
I have a Dr appt Wednesday and we will be hearing the heartbeat! I love that! So I can't wait!
I leave you with my 30 week picture! It is kinda scary how big I am!! I am large and she is too and she lets me know that daily by kicking my ribs so much that they are sore... like someone kicked me, oh yeah they did!