Thursday, February 25, 2010

Decision time.

Most of you know I have really been struggling with the decision of whether or not to be a stay at home mom. I needed to share this today because I feel like there are other women out there that may be struggling with the same decision. Or just maybe one of you are struggling with something even bigger or something small. What ever it is, you NEED to read this. It made the BIG picture clearer for me and I feel peaceful about the decision I believe I have finally made.

It amazes me everyday how God works in my life; when and where he reveals Himself and what exactly He is telling me! Amazing. I am so thankful that I am finally in a place that I have full faith in His plan for my life.

With all that being said, here is what I wanted to share... I have blogged a couple of other times about Proverbs 31 Ministries. I get a daily email with a devotion and almost everyday, it's EXACTLY what I needed to read and be reminded of. Today's email stunned me. Seriously... with teary eyes I read it and whole-heatedly prayed the prayer at the end! If you are struggling with a decision, I pray you find peace and guidance in this mini-devotion.


"It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes." Psalm 118:9 (NIV)
I had looked forward to this moment for days. I sat across the table from my friend and poured out my heart about a big decision I had to make. As I looked into her eyes, I just knew she would have the wisdom I needed. I waited expectantly for her advice.

Instead of an answer to my problems I got a mini sermon. One I needed to hear. My friend pointed out that I was looking to the answer and not the Source of all answers. I thought if I just made the right choice, I would solve all my own problems. "You need to take your focus off making the right decision and trust God," she said. "No matter what you decide to do, He will still take care of you and He will accomplish His purpose for you." (from Psalm 138:8)

I nodded soberly. My friend was right. I had gotten caught up in the outcome. I was placing my trust in princes—looking to people and circumstances for the answers—instead of accepting the truth that, no matter what decision I made, God was going to take care of me. I had made the decision so uber-important that it had eclipsed God's place in my life.

I had prayed to make the right decision. I had journaled pages to Him about it. But ultimately, I reasoned, since He hadn't written the solution in the skies for me, I had to make my own choice based on what I felt was right. I had forgotten that He would still be there working all things together for my good after I made the decision, just as He had before.

If you are facing a big or little decision in your life, seek Him above all. Don't let the outcome or the opinions of others become more important that the One who "opens His hands and satisfies the desires of every living thing" (Psalm 145:16).

No matter whether you make the right decision or the wrong one, He will still be there walking with you, loving you, and helping you. Pray about your decision. Read His word. Seek out godly counsel. And then make the best decision you can. Sometimes the biggest decision is to simply make one. Place your trust in Him and rest in the fact that He will meet you on the other side of whatever decision you make.

Dear Lord, thank You that because of Your grace I know You will always be there. Thank You for the promise in Romans 8:28 that You will work all things out for good. I pray that my life brings You glory and I trust You to work in all circumstances to make that happen. Help me to place my trust in You and not in princes. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

22 comments:

Minnesota Girl said...

Great post! It's crazy how sometimes messages appear when we need them most.

Best of luck with your decision!
xoxo Minnesota Girl

A Southern Accent said...

Great post! So, what did you decide?

The Ross Family said...

Yes, what did you decide? Inquiring minds want to know :) xoxoxo

Cherry Berry said...

That's great! I'm going to have to remember that!
And I'm curious about your decision too.... :-)

Allyson said...

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing about the Proverbs 31 ministry daily devotionals. I signed up to get them about a month ago and they have been such a great source of encouragement to me! God Bless!

kara battel said...

thanks- i've been going through the exact same thing- struggles! the choices seem impossible to make- hope that you have some peace in your decision. and... what is your decision???

Julia said...

AMEN!!! and i just heard 3 sermons this week (in preaching class) about how God is ready and waiting to exceed our expectations. That doesn't always mean that we get more than we thought we would, but that our God is so much bigger than our own understanding, and knows what we need much better than we do!! Trust in God and he will never take you wrong, even if it is hard, God is still with you!!

Annie said...

new follower here ;) lovin your blog hun!
i think whatever decision you make it should be with your heart and what's best for you and your family, there are many things to weigh in on your decision.
my dream is to be a stay at home momma....on the other hand, i'm not even married yet ;)
i'm a wishful thinker :-)
hope you are having a good week!!

Bonnie said...

I want SO bad to stay home with my baby, but I know we just can't afford it right now. We have debt to pay off & bills to pay. I know how you feel though. It breaks my heart I can't stay home with him, but I sure do value the time I have with him much, much more! Regardless if you can stay home or not, your baby will be okay because she knows she has a mom & dad that love her & are doing the best they can for her.
<3 Bon

Courtney Brooke said...

Great post! Thank you! I have been struggling with career decisions myself lately, and that was just what I needed to read! And just like everyone else, I am curious about your decision too! :)

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

such an awesome post that anyone should read-- no matter what decision they're wrestling with. Romans 8:28 is my favorite verse and the Lord is going to work whatever you decide out for His good and He will take care of you. you're always His and He will never leave you. thank you for posting this. i hope it helps make your decision easier if you haven't made it yet. the biggest decision you can make, it seems, is to trust Him always.

love you!!

In this wonderful life... said...

I read this post earlier on my phone and loved it! I think I see Trusting In Princes appearing on a post of mine soon. thanks to you! xoxo

Jesslee said...

Awesome! So glad to hear you are feeling more at peace about your decision!

Tara Gibson said...

great post girl! I will pray for you to make the decision easier!

Lindsey said...

Wow this is EXACTLY what I needed, thanks for sharing friend!

USCEmily said...

I love the devotions from Proverbs 31 ministries. They always seem to apply, and I anxiously await one in my inbox each day!

Lucky in Love said...

Thank you for posting this :)

Lindsey Conrad - Nabors said...

I love it when you read a devotion and it is SO fitting to what is going on in your life at that exact moment!! Relying on God always helps you make the right decisions. I think we all at times try to make a decision ourselves and forget that we need Gods help to do it. I am guilty of that myself. But whatever decision we do make, if it's not the right one or God's will, he will let us know!

Good luck deciding and thanks for sharing your devotion!!

WadleyGirl said...

From one Auburn Girl to another Auburn Girl....Thanks for posting this. I am not making the same decision as you but I needed to read that as I am struggling with some decisions in my own life. I keep waiting for God to show me a sign or spell it out for me and now I see that I need to make my decision and know he will be there for me no matter what! I have e-mailed you and let you a few comments because I feel a kindred spirit with other Auburn alum(fanatics). I hope you will find some time to visit my new blog at www.wadleygirl.blogspot.com or e-mail me at dmeadows1@charter.net. I love to read your blog and find out what that adorable baby is up to! I am going to sign up for the Proverbs 31 ministry today Thanks for sharing that! I hope to talk to you soon!

Dollface said...

new mommy! please enter my giveaway, adorable bows for the girlies... xxxooo

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

great post friend! we struggled with this so much when we were deciding to move across the country (the first time, haha) and we came to the same conclusion! this is SUCH a great reminder! I cannot wait to hear about what you chose, and you are soo right, God is with you and sweet ALM (and Adam!) no matter what your decision!!! BIG hugs!! :)

Debi said...

Loved your post...needed to hear this one! Thank you so much..trust the little voice...it's almost always right!

Blessings,
Debi