Monday, April 26, 2010

So Long Insecurity... PEACE OUT! Beth Moore ATL

Hi strangers. Expect another post about my sabbatical from blogging. I have a GREAT excuse. :)

But on to what I am making my BIG COMEBACK with! You have probably seen on other blogs and on twitter that a lot of bloggers were headed to see Beth Moore in Atlanta. "So Long Insecurity" is what the conference was about. And if anyone says they aren't insecure; they are telling a big one.

If you are an insecure woman and I would go with 99% of us are (about something) then please read this post. Some of this came straight from Beth Moore's mouth and some comes straight from God Himself (scripture). The rest is my opinions on this subject.

I am going to break this ATL trip into two parts but first I think it's important for me to share what God has laid on my heart. Tomorrow I will share pics from some wonderful Christian women (all bloggers) that I met. We got to worship together, learn together and just have some good ol' fun!

We all feel insecure about something, right? Or if you are like me, it's lots of somethings. My insecure thoughts consist of things like:

- I am not skinny enough.
- I am not pretty enough.
- I don't have the nicest clothes.
- My skin isn't clear.
- I am getting wrinkles.
- I look different after having a baby.
- Will I ever look "normal" again?

Most of my insecurities lie in my appearance. SAD, but true.

But after this conference, I realized I had insecurities in other areas of my life. I wasn't ever really aware they were insecurities.

I first want to share with you what I took away from this conference. It was amazing to see how God used this wonderful woman (Beth) to get some serious points across that I know hit home to all 300,000 women nationwide that were either there or watching the simulcast.

We, as women, have NOTHING to gain from our insecurities. NADA! Our insecurities are not our weaknesses, they are UNBELIEF! When she said that, I felt a knot in my stomach. "Holy cow, she was right! I don't believe I am skinny enough/pretty enough, etc!" But why? His name is SATAN! And he works through the media A LOT!

Jeremiah 9:20 "Now, O women, hear the word of the LORD; open your ears to the words of his mouth. Teach your daughters how to wail; teach one another a lament."

I haven't been listening to God. I have been letting other people (tv, magazines, etc) how I should feel about myself. After all, I am God's child. I am all His. He made me the way HE wanted me made. Who am I to detest that?

If we as women were more SECURE, we would think less often of ourselves. Makes sense right? If I thought I was skinny enough, I wouldn't feel the need to spend 2 hours in the gym, just maybe 30 minutes and donate that other hour and a half to serving others for GOD'S GLORY! That is what all this is about anyway!

I won't put the entire chapter of 2 Timothy 3 in this post, but please read it.

I was sharing with my husband, Adam, what all I learned and took away and the biggest thing I took away was a statement Beth made about midway through the conference. She said, "How much more likely would we be able to forgive if we were secure?" HELLO! AMEN! That's it! If I was a secure woman, I would be able to forgive MUCH easier. And I said right then and there to myself and God. "I want to be better at forgiveness!" To do that, I need to gain some security in areas of my life. I can only do that through God and His amazing love and grace!

I realized that not only am I insecure about my physical appearance, I am insecure in my faith. Often times I don't feel worthy of God's love, grace or forgiveness. But I was reminded this weekend that He gives that freely, I just have to take it and know that it is mine. I am to be an imitator of God and I have to feel secure in my walk to do that.

Two other BIG statements Beth said: "To be secure we have to know that someone unfailingly loves us." That person is GOD! "You can't run Him off or out sin His forgiveness!"

WOAH! That's a big one to process!

Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Girls, I could go on and on about what I learned and what God laid on my heart, but I wanted to share the high points that I took away. God speaks to each of us differently. But after hearing everything Beth had to say, God spoke to me LOUD AND CLEAR! I will never be the same after that. I feel changed in my thinking and am going to work hard in changing my doing.

I am not perfect. FAR FROM IT! But thankfully my God forgives me and leads me. I am of the flesh and we are sinful people. But God offers HIS forgiveness FREE! We just have to ask for it and accept Him!

Our insecurities hold us back from more than we can imagine. I, for one, want my daughter to be more secure than me. I want to shield her from the ways of the world and the ONLY way to do that, is through prayer to the One who can shield her, Jesus Christ!

32 comments:

Trina said...

I learned so much too! Glad I got to experience this weekend and meeting you was the cherry on top!

Sherrie said...

I need to read that book. I have heard great things about it.

Jesslee said...

Sounds like an amazing experience! I am going to have to buy this book and read it -I too have been struggling with insecurity lately.

Anne said...

I can't wait to read the book - sounds like hearing it straight from Beth was amazing. We all struggle with insecurity and I know the Lord is ready for us each to let it go! So glad you shared!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

what a great post. i kept thinking of you when beth kept talking about "daughters." i know you are going to build that baby girl up and teach her to get her security from the Father. and she has a great earthly father that will teach her great things, too.

i love you and i am so happy we finally met!

Rachel said...

Great post!!! I have not read the book yet, but I am going to get it today! This is all so true and so hard to grasp!! Thank you for being such a great Christian example to us all and hopefully this post will many more!!!!

Short Southern Momma said...

Oh wow mama! That was some great stuff to read! I feel the exact same way you did! I am glad you had such a wonderful time! You are one beautiful mama! Inside and Out! xoxo

Garrett and Meagan said...

Oh that sounds amaizng. I wish I could have went! I will have to pick that book up! I LOVE YOU WOMAN!

Rachel said...

AMEN. You put it all down so well. I can't quite explain all of the amazing pieces of wisdom I picked up this weekend, but I know that God is definitely working in my life. What an amazing weekend! So glad I got to experience it with you :)

Jodi said...

Lyndsay!! It is so great to see you as a fellow blogger! I found you through Kelly's Korner! I enjoyed reading your post! I am really inspired to buy and read that book! I hope now we can keep in touch! Your baby girl is beautiful!

Dollface said...

Wow... this is powerful stuff!!! I think that everyone is insecure in their own way. Nobody's life is perfect!! xxxoo

GamecockQueen said...

AWESOME POST!! I really enjoyed reading that, brightened up my Monday for sure!! Thanks!

Leslie said...

Welcome back! You've been on my mind and it is great to hear from you again! And I MUST go buy this book!

Jessica said...

First of all... welcome back! I've missed you bud!

Thank you so much for sharing this. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's recap from this weekend about all the bloggers meeting up, but I've been dying to hear more about the conference. I can't wait to read the book!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Sounds like an amazing weekend! I so wish I could have gone and met all of you ladies!! Thanks for sharing what you got out of it. I definitely think insecurity is a major demon for so many of us... I think I need to pick up this book.

In this wonderful life... said...

I SO wish I could have gone to this!! I MUST read the book!!!

I also wish I would have gotten to meet you and hang out with all you pretty ladies!

missed you blogging!

xoxo

Walking With The Wheats said...

I need to buy this book and read it! I have so many insecurities and after having my kids they have nearly doubled. Thanks for sharing!

I am a new follower!!

www.dukeandsarah.blogspot.com

Becca said...

I love this post! I actually sat behind you (with Megan) at the conference and didn't actually "meet" you . . . but anyways, I'm glad you learned a lot - I know I did too!

the rigdons said...

i'm reading SLI right now and learning so much. i'm jealous you guys got to hear beth.

i love your blog- your honesty is refreshing and that baby of yours is TOO CUTE!!

Domestic Goddess said...

i've heard so many good things about that book. i think it's calling my name. it's so hard to be a woman sometimes and we get caught up in all the yucky, but there are so many blessings and gifts we have! so glad you got to go! :)

Heather said...

Hey Lyndsay, I feel like I know you now after reading everyone's recap from this weekend. You are beautiful, and i loved this post. It looks and sounds like it was an amazing weekend!! Following your blog and look forward to reading more!

Heather said...

Oops, I was signed in under a different account. I guess it doesn't really matter. :)

Katie said...

Wow, wow, wow. Thanks so much for posting this! The line I'll take with me is: "Our insecurities are not our weaknesses, they are UNBELIEF."

Risa said...

Those are most of the same insecurities I have! I try to be as perfect as possible and it just doesn't seem to happen. Ugh!!

Prissy Southern Prep said...

I enjoyed this post so much! Actually, I will probably read it again after posting this comment. Every word is so true, and I really needed to hear it. Thanks for sharing! I am glad that you all had a great time in ATL. As I told Eryn, you all look SO happy in the pictures! It is obvious that it was a very blessed and enriching weekend!

Shannon said...

I definitely need to read this book. As I was putting on my makeup this morning a million self-depreciating thoughts ran through my head...
I need to look to my faith for answers not creams and products, magazines, and tv. Great post! Think we all know beauty comes from within, it's just really truly believing it and trusting in Him to help us through our journey! Glad you're back, can't wait to hear about how being a SAHM is going for you!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Wow what a wonderful experience! I haven't read the book but I definitely want to!

~Kristen~ said...

I'm new to your blog but enjoying it! Thanks SO much for this post. I share so many of your sentiments that I feel like I could have written this! Being 27 weeks pregnant has me wondering if I'll ever feel or look normal again when I should be focusing on the amazing blessing I've been given through this pregnancy. So well said. Thanks!

Sonya said...

Beth did make some great points! Definitely a lot to think about!

采安采安 said...

我喜歡........................................

Suz said...

After reading what you and so many others wrote about Beth Moore and this book, I picked it up. I'm a few chapters in and WOW, I'm seeing myself in so many passages. Thank you for sharing!

Movies Gallery 2011 said...

Thanks for the post. I liked it. Keep going I follow you.
Super Bowl Commercials 2012| Money Talks|