Friday, May 7, 2010

I host... now I boast

This past Sunday I hosted a baby shower for one of my lifelong friends. She is due with a little girl, Rylee, in June. I absolutely CAN NOT WAIT for this sweet baby to arrive. I would say this shower was a SUCCESS :) She got sooo many cute things. I don't think I have ever seen so many monogrammed things! Rylee will definitely know her name :)

I wanted to share some pictures with you of the decor and such, but I also wanted to share my first attempt at making "Monogrammed Onesie" cookies.

I have seen these things EVERYWHERE. They didn't look hard to make so I thought I would give it a try. I ordered the cookie cutter online from The Cookie Cutter Shop. Then I searched for the perfect recipe/design.

I have to say that without this post I would have never made it through. I took her advice on the cookie dough recipe. You can find it here. NOTE: You can't use the premade dough. It spreads and the cookies will turn out to look kind of like a... ummm...penis! (I'm just sayin')

So making the dough wasn't hard. It actually mixed pretty well and was easy to roll out... the key was DEFINITELY rolling the dough between two pieces of wax paper and then refrigerating it. When I make the cookies again I will make the cookies a little thicker. I followed the recipe to the T and took advantage of her "hint."

I made the cookies one day before the shower. I would suggest this due to time. It took me probably about 3+ hours to mix, roll, cut, bake, cool, etc.

Next came the most frustrating part. The Royal Icing. I have never used it before, heck, I didn't even know what it was! Well it's EASY breezy to make. However, finding meringue powder about drove me NUTSO! I looked at 4 different grocery stores before finally googling and seeing that Hobby Lobby carries it! WHEW. What is meringue powder you ask??? It's an egg substitute. If you were making royal icing for say a gingerbread house, and you weren't planning to eat it, you could use egg whites. But because of the risk of salmonella you have to use meringue powder for the cookies. The recipe is simple...

Royal Icing:

4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons meringue powder
6 tablespoons of water (I had to use more)

Note: the recipe doesn't call for flavoring, but I added some almond flavor. If you don't, it will have no taste.

Mix on low for about 7-10 minutes. The icing shouldn't be runny, but it shouldn't be thick either. Should be easy to spread on a cookie with the back of a spoon. This recipe let me ice 50 cookies AND add the monograms.

I let the icing dry for about 2 hours before I monogrammed them. I added two drops of pink dye (regular food coloring) to color the icing. Make sure to mix well. Now, I found that a lot of recipes were telling me I needed: couplers, squeeze bottles, decorating tips, pastry bags. First of all, what the crap is all that. Second, I have NONE of that. So I made do with a good ol' ziplock bag. I used the quart one. I scooped the icing into the bag, sealed it and cut a TINY hole in the corner on the bottom and squeezed all of the icing to that corner and TADA.

I had to let them dry over night. I just covered them with paper towels and the next morning... they were ready to be boxed up, taken to the shower and gobbled up! I have to say, I was pleased for my first time. And they actually tasted pretty good. But I was going for looks not taste. haha!

Here is one of my finished cookies...
Her PRECIOUS cake! Isn't it doll??

The welcome table.

The dessert table.

The beautiful mommy to be!

25 comments:

Jesslee said...

I saw your cookies on Twitter and they were super cute! I think you did fabulous for your first time!

Lauren Kelly said...

First, off…. Love the title of this post. Cute!!! And second, look at you go…they turned out AMAZING and the shower looked soooo beautiful!!

capperson said...

Your cookies are too cute. I have been wanting to make some of those cookies and I have a shower to host soon for my sister-n-law and now I know exactly where to get the cute little cutter and how to make them. Thanks soo much. They are sooo cute and that cake..OMG!!! Such a cute idea and sooo adorable! Almost too cute to even eat!

kimert said...

Awesome job!! Everything looks beautiful!

Lynsey and Brian said...

Your cookies turned out great! Everything looks beautiful!

Mrs. Buck said...

That shower looks amazing! You are a hostess with the mostess! I'm hosting my first ever baby shower next weekend for a friend of mine due mid June - getting anxious about pulling it all together!

Britni said...

Haha!! I am so glad someone else has had this same problem!! We tried to make cookies with a baby bottle cookie cutter and they turned out looking just like what you said in your post!! I will definitely have to try the recipe you posted - you did a great job! And that cake is ADORABLE!!!!!

Ella's Mom said...

I am a new follower of your blog and I had to comment and say that the cake is one of the cutest I have ever seen! Great job!

Amie said...

Super cute cookies! Looks like the shower set-up was pretty too. J looks so good and Rylee is such a cute name!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Too cute!

Cherry Berry said...

Beautiful shower!
I have a shower to throw the first weekend in May and I'm thinking about trying those cookies.
And the cake is sooooo cute!!!

Lianna Knight said...

GREAT job girl :)

quite contrary said...

wow! you put on a great event! LOVE that cake...how creative!

cMe said...

They look a-ma-zing, especially the monogram! Who knew you could do that just using a ziploc!

宥妃 said...

笑口常開~~天天開心........................................

Garrett and Meagan said...

WOMAN! I want you to host my next party! you are amazing!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

way to go on the cookies! and that cake is amazing! i've never seen one like that.

The Dunaway's said...

Sooo Cute!! I am def gonna use that receipe to make some cookies for an event I have to go to!

Mrs. R said...

That cake is the cutest!

Heather said...

you did a great job on this shower, love the cookies and the colors!! So fun, I love the mommy to be's dress!

Lucky in Love said...

Your cookies turned out fantastic!! I just made those the other day for a shower :) So fun!

EmmyLou said...

Great job on the cookies! Looks like so much fun!

嘉琬 said...

很棒的分享~祝福你........................................

sanjeet said...

wonderful that you can stay at home.
PPC Advertising India

Movies Gallery 2011 said...

Thanks for the post. I liked it. Keep going I follow you.
Web Design Company| Clone Script| Super Bowl 2012|