Thursday, June 24, 2010

Belief and Faith

As a Christian, I get asked sometimes, by unbelievers, what I believe and WHY I believe it! I think sometimes, some of them want a simple one or two sentence answer. I can't give them that. I could go ON AND ON about what I believe and why.

Usually I stumble around trying to find the "right" words and end up saying something along the lines of "I believe God created everything. I believe He sent His son, Jesus Christ, to die for my sins so that I may have eternal life with Him. I believe all this because it comes from God's Word, The Bible. I believe the Bible because I have FAITH! Faith that my God is coming for me one day because I chose to accept His son as my savior."

But see, just saying those words isn't enough for me. I want to go on and on about what all God has done for me, people around me... seriously could go ON AND ON!

My mom sent me something in the mail this week that I knew immediately I wanted to share with you! It really simplified it for me and I plan to make copies and keep them in my purse. And if I am asked I plan to just hand them one. It breaks down EXACTLY what I believe. Of course there's much more to my faith but this really is the core of my heart and my faith and what I believe to be true.

It is called the Nicene Creed. I encourage you to click on the link if you want more information about where it came from, etc. Now, I attend a Baptist Church but I am a first and foremost a Christian. Believer of Jesus Christ. This creed makes my heart beat faster. Makes my eyes tear up. Makes me draw closer to God. It is powerful and it is true!

The Nicene Creed

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, light from light, true God from true God, begotten, not made,
one in Being with the Father. Through Him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven,
By the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary and was made man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; He suffered, died and was buried.
On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the Scriptures;
He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father
(and the Son) Who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified.
Who has spoken through the prophets.
We believe in one holy universal and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

17 comments:

Sarah said...

Great Post

~Kristen~ said...

I know the Nicene Creed by heart! I recite it at church every Sunday. :)

Lauren Kelly said...

This was wonderful and so beautiful!!!!! Thank you for sharing. Totally blessed my spirit today!!!

i. me. mine said...

We recite this in mass every Sunday.

I love it and make sure to recite it every night before I go to bed :)

Karah said...

Love the Nicene Creed. We say it every Sunday at church. Its so powerful right. love you friend :)

southerngraduate said...

The Nicene Creed is definitely one of my favorite parts of church... To hear a group saying it in unison brings tears to my eyes.

Sarah Beth - Dixie Gator Gal said...

Beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

I also know it by heart and have said it aloud more times in my life than I can count (Catholic grade school and high school). But, as it is something "regular" in my life, thank you for reminding me how special it is.

THE Stephanie said...

Oo! Just got goosebumps all over! AMEN!

Susannah said...

I guess I forget how regular this is in our church-I grew up saying this and know it by heart. It is very special and interesting how other denominations don't really "use" it like we (Episcopalians) do. Thanks for sharing! :D

Miss E said...

I'm a Lutheran and we say the Nicene Creed almost every Sunday in service (the other Sundays we say the Apostle's Creed). I get goosebumps every time we recite it. It's perfect - and to say it in unison with the whole church makes it even that much more powerful.

So so glad you shared this.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

I may have heard this at one point or another growing up, but this isn't something our church incorporates into our services. I like it a lot though. I'm a lot like you. I know why I believe and what I believe, but I can't get it out in a short answer. I like this. It explains it better than I can!

Amie said...

Great post! I have been to Mass with my boyfried numerous times and this is one of my favorite things that they recite. I don't know it, but I love that it says exactly how they feel about their faith!

cMe said...

I grew up Baptist but am now attending a Methodist church. Methodist recites the Creed most services!

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

I think I could probably recite the Nicene Creed in my sleep. I've only said it about a million times growing up in Catholic school from Pre-K through 12th & going to Sunday mass every week.
Sometimes it's easy to ramble off the words and not pay attention to what they actually mean so that you for letting me read it again through your eyes!

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Thank*

Woops : )

Mrs. Classic said...

Thanks for sharing! I miss the days when faith was a huge thing people posted about. It was really what drew me into blogging.