Monday, December 20, 2010

12 Days of Christmas

You might or might not have heard this version of the 12 Days of Christmas. It isn't a song. It's a story. A true story. For me, it's THE REASON I celebrate Christmas. I believe every word to be true. It's contents are pulled from my "guide for life" The Bible. I encourage you to take a minute to read this...even if you have read it before. It's a GREAT reminder of what Christmas is all about: not gifts, not money, not decorations, but it's about our precious, gracious Lord and Savior JESUS CHRIST and everything He has done for us! I serve one amazing God who sent his ONLY son (imagine...having a child only to KNOW He will die one day) to die for my sins! And this Christmas... I plan to give Him great thanks and worship Him like never before.

Enjoy!

On the 1st day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
A Partridge in a Pear Tree.

The partridge in a pear tree is Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, whose birthday we celebrate on December 25, the first day of Christmas. In the song, Christ is symbolically presented as a mother partridge that feigns injury to decoy predators from her helpless nestlings, recalling the expression of Christ's sadness over the fate of Jerusalem: "Jerusalem! Jerusalem! How often would I have sheltered you under my wings, as a hen does her chicks, but you would not have it so . . . ." (Luke 13:34)

On the 2nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Two Turtle Doves

The Old and New Testaments, which together bear witness to God's self-revelation in history and the creation of a people to tell the Story of God to the world.

On the 3rd day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Three French Hens

The Three Theological Virtues: 1) Faith, 2) Hope, and 3) Love (1 Corinthians 13:13)

On the 4th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Four Calling Birds

The Four Gospels: 1) Matthew, 2) Mark, 3) Luke, and 4) John, which proclaim the Good News of God's reconciliation of the world to Himself in Jesus Christ.

On the 5th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Five Gold Rings

The first Five Books of the Old Testament, known as the Torah or the Pentateuch: 1) Genesis, 2) Exodus, 3) Leviticus, 4) Numbers, and 5) Deuteronomy, which gives the history of humanity's sinful failure and God's response of grace in the creation of a people to be a light to the world.

On the 6th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Six Geese A-laying

The six days of creation that confesses God as Creator and Sustainer of the world (Genesis 1).

On the 7th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Seven Swans A-swimming

The seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: 1) prophecy, 2) ministry, 3) teaching, 4) exhortation, 5) giving, 6) leading, and 7) compassion (Romans 12:6-8; cf. 1 Corinthians 12:8-11)

On the 8th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Eight Maids A-milking

The eight Beatitudes: 1) Blessed are the poor in spirit, 2) those who mourn, 3) the meek, 4) those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 5) the merciful, 6) the pure in heart, 7) the peacemakers, 8) those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake. (Matthew 5:3-10)

On the 9th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Nine Ladies Dancing

The nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit: 1) love, 2) joy, 3) peace, 4) patience, 5) kindness,6) generosity, 7) faithfulness, 8) gentleness, and 9) self-control. (Galatians 5:22)

On the 10th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Ten Lords A-leaping

The ten commandments: 1) You shall have no other gods before me; 2) Do not make an idol; 3) Do not take God's name in vain; 4) Remember the Sabbath Day; 5) Honor your father and mother; 6) Do not murder; 7) Do not commit adultery; 8) Do not steal; 9) Do not bear false witness; 10) Do not covet. (Exodus 20:1-17)

On the 11th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Eleven Pipers Piping

The eleven Faithful Apostles: 1) Simon Peter, 2) Andrew, 3) James, 4) John, 5) Philip, 6) Bartholomew, 7) Matthew, 8) Thomas, 9) James bar Alphaeus, 10) Simon the Zealot, 11) Judas bar James. (Luke 6:14-16). The list does not include the twelfth disciple, Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus to the religious leaders and the Romans.

On the 12th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Twelve Drummers Drumming

The twelve points of doctrine in the Apostles' Creed: 1) I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. 2) I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. 3) He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. 4) He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell [the grave]. 5) On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. 6) He will come again to judge the living and the dead. 7) I believe in the Holy Spirit, 8) the holy catholic Church, 9) the communion of saints, 10) the forgiveness of sins, 11) the resurrection of the body, 12) and life everlasting.

27 comments:

Lauren said...

This is GREAT!!!!! Love it!

Mrs. May said...

Thank you so much for sharing :)

Whitney said...

I love this post. It's so good to see another so strong in their faith. I love everything about this. Thank you for posting.

Ashley said...

Thanks for sharing! Love it!

Lynsey and Brian said...

I love this! Thanks so much for sharing. Do you mind if I post this on my blog?

Fairy Tale Fashionista said...

Thank you for sharing! I always enjoyed the song but never knew it was a story!

Jen said...

thats really beutiful! merry Christmas and have such a blessed time celebrating the birth of our Savior, the King, our Lord!!

cMe said...

I REALLY miss your blogging...hope you come back soon. = )

Chris said...

I love this explanation. It's so cool how you can make this song into such a wonderful lesson!

Griya Mobil Kita said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
rental mobil

alam said...

great thoughts, one should read Bible, i believe that Jesus Christ is a prophet of God and not the son of God.

zafar said...

Top Most Expensive Cars, Top Most popular and Speed Cars with stylish and Beautiful Pictures.
worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com

zafar said...

http://fluffyfashionablefamous.blogspot.com/2010/12/12-days-of-christmas.html

Saeed Zia said...

Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
www.jobzcorner.com

zafar said...

World Wide Online jobs from home, part time online jobs, data entry jobs and copy pasting jobs
www.jobzcorner.com

zafar said...

New Aston Martin Rapid, 2013 Hyandai Veloster Turbo Mazda Takeri Concept and Top Companies of Most popular Cars and Vehicles. Total Concept Cars in the World, Latest Strange Vehicles in the World, All Concept Cars and Strange Vehicles Hot pictures and info
worldlatestvehicles.com

Saeed Zia said...

Many people want to See Sport Cars of International and beautiful Sport Racing Cars, The Best and Latest Sport Racing Car HyperSport Car, Sport Vehicles, Most Popular Concept Cars, upcoming racing cars and more strange vehicles with pictures and Information
WorldLatestVehicles.Com

zahid ahmed said...

Many of the Online Jobs and Online Earning System in internet online Business, but here is a best and legit online earning systems with life time opportunity.
www.jobzcorner.com

Muhammad Khalid said...

Free Facebook Likes, Free Targeted Facebook Likes, Make Unlimited Likes on your Facebook Fan Page, Facebook Share, Facebook Followers, Facebook Post Like and Share, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Follow, LinkedIn share, Youtube Views Likes and Subscribes
Social Media Marketing is the easy way to increase your Folow Likes and Subsribes
getlikefast.com

Fahad Naseer said...

Which Car you want..? Here is a best list of Cars and Vehicles, Hot Vehicles, Strange Cars, Super Cars Model, Funny Cars, Car Latest Models, Cars with Girls, Cars like helicopter and Most Speed and Expensive Cars
WorldLatestVehicles.com

saeed ahmed thanvi said...

World's Most Popular Cars, Hot Speed Cars, Hot Cars with Hot Girls, Cars Latest Pictures with all info, Latest updates Cars Models and Company Cars, Strange Vehicles, Concept Cars, Top 10 Expensive Cars in the World.
Visit this Link for More Strange Vehicles and Cars with Latest info and Pictures
WorldLatestVehicles.com

onlinephduk said...

This is great. Thank you so much for sharing this insightful bit of information. I love how you broke all of this down and explained everything based from the Bible. I adore this so much and plan to share with all of my friends.

Education Online PhD

saleem mohd. said...

Free Social Media Marketing where Every thing will be Free, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Re-Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Plus Followers, StumbleUpon Followers, Youtube Views, Youtube Likes, Youtube Subsribes, Pinterest Followers, Pinterest Likes, Pinterest PinIt, Free Website Visitors.
Just Join now and Free Increase your Social Media Networks.
GetLikeFast.com

marriog lesser said...

Thanks for the info!!!

Texas Roadhouse Coupons

julia rudolph said...

Your blog is very informative and really nice.
Amerimark coupons 2014

Kamao Poot said...

Find best Home based Business without any work, just invest and rest with your profit
EarningsClub.com

Kamao Poot said...

Find best Home based Business without any work, just invest and rest with your profit
EarningsClub.com